Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anything up to a 125cc

do i need to take the cbt or is it ok with a full uk driving licence?

im not sure what the rules are so your help will be needed
many thanx mike :incheek:

·
Registered
41,019 Posts
A moped would be a good start :D :p

Other then I have no clue sorry hun, you going to the Eleanor tomorrow night?

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
You would need a CBT, which would entitle you to drive upto a 125 (providing your are 17 or over). Any more and you need a proper bike license. I think the CBT generally costs £90 and lasts for about 3 hours.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
its a bit strainge but a m8 has just bought a new fuck off big 500cc quad ,
one of those ones with full sussy n lights not like the old farmers types &u aloud to ride on a car licence ,no helmit too

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yeah thats good then! will i need to renew it after 3 years or just re apply? i thought it was guna cost a fourtune! thats not too bad!

any idea where i can do one? northampton area??

im just about over 17 ;):D

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
beetleboy1983 said:
yeah thats good then! will i need to renew it after 3 years or just re apply? i thought it was guna cost a fourtune! thats not too bad!

any idea where i can do one? northampton area??

im just about over 17 ;):D
The do have a limited 'life' not sure if its 2 or 3 years. You should be able to do one at any decent sized bike shop.

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
beetleboy1983 said:
cool ta ill have a looksie round and about :D many thanx kafer
No worries mate,

I only know all this stuff because my brother has done his about 3 times now. We do a lot of stuff with them at work too.

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
Iain_M said:
A full uk driving licence let's you drive a moped, anything over that (inc a unrestricted moped) you'll need to do CBT as has been said about £90 and lasts for two years.
I'm pretty certain that isn't correct dude. But please feel free to prove me wrong

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
Iain_M said:
Which part?
The bit about driving a moped on a driving license. But it may depend on when you passed your car test I suppose

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
Kafer_meister said:
The bit about driving a moped on a driving license. But it may depend on when you passed your car test I suppose
Yep you're right, the rules have changed, didn't know that and I drive a moped on my full car licence entitlement.

directgov said:
If you have a car licence...

If you obtained your full car licence before 1 February 2001 you are automatically entitled to ride a moped without L-plates (D-plates in Wales).

If you obtained a full car licence after 1 February 2001 you must first complete a CBT course and obtain a DL 196 certificate to validate your entitlement.

·
Registered
19,818 Posts
"Grandad rights" as they call them are no longer valid and you have to take a CBT to ride any moped/scooter/bike regardless of how long you've held a full car licence.

Edit:

They've changed the rules again.... DOH!!

If you passed your car test before Feb 1st 2001 then you can ride a 50cc/30mph moped without taking a CBT.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts