Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellow VW lovers, I'm a student at the University of Lincoln and doing my final year project on a subject I'm passionate about...VW's so basically I want to know what you love about being a VW owner,
What do you enjoy about it?
What don't you enjoy about it?
Have you always drove VW's?
What have you owned over the years?
Anything that puts in words for me what makes you proud to be a VW owner, thank you to all who reply x :D

·
Registered
20,445 Posts
You are assuming that we are proud of them

Don't you realsie for some of us it is a pennance. We did something really awful is a previous life and are now condemmed to drive around cold, with skinned knuckles and penniless?

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
For me, i enjoy the laid back, relaxed feeling of driving an aircooled, and never being in a hurry, i LOVE the fact that they stand out, and make a statement, espoecially with a slammed bug, bus, or any other aircooled, i just enjoy feeling 'cool' (i know i guess it's sad, but i do) :eek: I enjoy having something different and quirky.

I DON'T enjoy always being paranoid that it;s gonna break down, or trying to remove that rusted on, rounded off bolt!

I bought my baywindow camper when i was 15 - restored it, passed my test, then drove it daily as my only car for over 2 years. The i needed some speed, so bought a golf gti - kept the camper though. And since then i've had 2 golf gti's, a '69 merc, and a T25 - and my boyfriend drives a '72 beetle. Out of them all i love driving the beetle the most, then the camper - it's such a nice feeling :):cool:

That do? :)

Matty :elvis:

·
Registered
41,019 Posts
Torrance said:
Hello fellow VW lovers, I'm a student at the University of Lincoln and doing my final year project on a subject I'm passionate about...VW's so basically I want to know what you love about being a VW owner,
Anything that puts in words for me what makes you proud to be a VW owner, thank you to all who reply x :D
I enjoy driving mine because it makes me smile, the indiviuality they each have, the way it makes other people smile, the way it brings people together for events/meets/shows etc & the close friends it has given me.

I don't enjoy the unpredictability it sometimes brings not knowing if you'll make it to your destination :lol: Oh & I dont like MOT times.

I have always driven them & learnt to drive in my first bug at 17 (am 30 now) :D

Over the years i've owned mainly bugs, bays, a buggy, split. Renault 4's & a few non descript euro-boxes. but I always go back to the classic VW :D

Hope this helps
Vics

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Torrance said:
things i enjoy about my dubs ... firstly doing chavs off the lights :D in my bug and listening to people saying that i should buy a quiet and cumfotable car because thats what they own and then telling them to F*$k off ,hearing my neighbours complain about me always working on my cars in the street and lowering the tone of the neighborhood :D ,guess i just like to be different ,oh and they look the bollox and are great to drive ,and if they need fixing they dont have to go on a computer to let you know whats wrong with them, whenever im driving my bus people look at me and smile cos its a bit different

the fact that even though some little shit torched my bug with a bit of work and a bit of wiring shes back on the road
and finally all the friends i have made in the vw comunity

things i dont like , the price of engine casings , mot time and the 17mm bolt holding my bus engine in you know the one i mean :incheek:

·
Registered
21,202 Posts
The cool bunch of people you get to hang around with. Helping out "newbies", helping out others, getting a buzz when you actually get something working again.

Rip-off garages/businesses. They've always been around but I just can't get used to it and it still deeply pisses me off when I hear of someone being ripped off.

When possible, yes. My first car wasn't a VW purely because money was really tight and I got given my first car as payment for a job I did on a Mk2 Jaguar. Spent most of my late teens driving my Baja Bug though.

Baja Bug (still own)
Bay camper (still own)
Just recently acquired a 1302 semi automatic too.

Anything that puts in words for me what makes you proud to be a VW owner
Driving past dead cars at the side of the road that are a quarter of the age of my aircooled!
You immediatly get branded as "different" whenever you turn up to work in an aircooled. Also it doesn't cost £300 to service an aircooled unlike a modern car ;)

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
I love the community. Especially here.

I'm new to Dubbin' but after a thread on this forum, a guy came straight over to see me and give me some advice regarding the negative side of owning a dub - it's a constant 'project'.

Oh yeah - and show me a cuter motor :D

·
Registered
6,523 Posts
Hello there :D

OOO where to start?? Well, I love everything, good job too really as I own one, met my pertner on a VW forum (here :D ) and he spends every day working on them! I couldn't get away from VW's now if I tried!

I love driving my Beetle in the summer on a hot day with the quaterlights blowing air through my hair, And little kids (and big ones too) smiling as I drive by :D I love the look on peoples faces as I scrape into shows :lol:

I love driving it in the winter with the heating on and my gloves, it looks great in the snow :D

There's not a lot I don't like about driving my bug, I can't think of anything infact.....

My 1st car was a '65 bug, it was my baby, I saved for months and months and worked my arse off for that car. But it got written off by my ex :(..... BUT then I found Emily on ebay and I wouldn't get rid of her for anything

I've driven many cars and owned a stacklight merc and now I have an XJ40/XJ6, but I'm bored of it and can't wait to drive my bug when she's back on the road :D

·
Help! I'm trapped in here
10,486 Posts
At this particular moment - absolutely nothing.

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
The thing i love the most about owning a vw is the vw i own, a 1970 1300 bug, just you're standard shit box, anyone could have him but he's mine and i am forever his. Henry is everything to me, i could loose everything I own and if i still had Henry I'd still smile. I love his little smile, his strange foibles and the way he makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up :D No other car could do it for me the way Hen does... I always used to want a split, when i met Hen i realised that dream was history, sad though it may seem i will never want anything else. He is the love of my life. I havent parked him inside his new garage since we moved in, because if i do i cant see him from the bedroom window anymore and i love waking up and doing my morning stretch while perving on him. It's not just the way he looks though, we sit at traffic lights and i find myself drumming my fingers on the wheel to his little misfire and the rythm of his engine *swoon* oh Henry*swoon* He is the best thing i have ever known and he has taught me so much.

:hug: I love you sweetie;)

·
Registered
6,523 Posts
maxrox85 said:
The thing i love the most about owning a vw is the vw i own, a 1970 1300 bug, just you're standard shit box, anyone could have him but he's mine and i am forever his. Henry is everything to me, i could loose everything I own and if i still had Henry I'd still smile. I love his little smile, his strange foibles and the way he makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up :D No other car could do it for me the way Hen does... I always used to want a split, when i met Hen i realised that dream was history, sad though it may seem i will never want anything else. He is the love of my life. I havent parked him inside his new garage since we moved in, because if i do i cant see him from the bedroom window anymore and i love waking up and doing my morning stretch while perving on him. It's not just the way he looks though, we sit at traffic lights and i find myself drumming my fingers on the wheel to his little misfire and the rythm of his engine *swoon* oh Henry*swoon* He is the best thing i have ever known and he has taught me so much.

:hug: I love you sweetie;)

think you're with the wrong man :incheek: ;)

·
Registered
139 Posts
I enjoy the nostalgia of it. 46 now, and at 17 my first car was a beetle, loved it then and have loved them ever since although as time has passed I've had to move on to more modern stuff, the tug of the Beetle has never gone away. For many people my sort of age, at some point they've packed their lives into a Beetle and headed off somewhere.

I love the look of the Beetle. It's a design Icon without a doubt and I like it from any angle. There's two Schools at the end of my street and kids, young kids walk past when I'm tinkering with it on the drive and say 'nice car'. They've already walked past various Mercedes, Lexus or BMW's but they see the Beetle and seem to like it.

I like the way they drive. Many modern cars are so insular, but the Beetle is an involving driving experience...........sometimes it doesn't matter where you're going, so long as you're going somehwere.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I luv all dubs, air and water, new and old, the aircooled scene is laid back and full of coll folks from all walks of life, hippies, surfers, skaters etc etc, alot of that is now rubbing off on the watercooled scene, particularly the oldskool retro watercooled scene! Or is it just cos a few of the aircoolers are now rolling cool slammed on 13's 80's waterpumpers as a more practical but sitll cool daily hack!! either way, it all good as is making the family bigger and bigger every day!

You'll often notice that if there's a VW in the yard, there's usually one owned by everyone in the family!!!! You dont get that with fords or vauxhauls do you!

VW, has to be the most customised car in the world, theres a custom bug scene in nearly every country you go to!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thank you guys for some awesome feedback, just what I was looking for to show non-vw owners what makes us passionate about our vehicles, in a starnge love-hate kind of way, thank you all x :D

1 - 20 of 27 Posts