Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all, ok i have a 1966 kombi and am looking to build/buy a stong reliable motor to push it along. i want it to be happy cruizing at 70mph which would be at just over 3000rpm with the current drive line fitted. what would you recommend? there seems to be so many options out there. i'm not after fast acceleration, more into reliabilty and cruizing but dont want no slug either! whats your advice?cheers, dave.

·
Registered
13,136 Posts
how much money have you got to spend?

you got an option of a stock 1600 engine with something like twin single throat carbs or a progressive, an after market 4into1 exhaust

a 1776, machine work involved, a mild cam some weber 40 IDFs a 4into1 aftermarket exhaust giving a bit of oomph

a type 4 engine, naturally more powerfull than a 1600 in stock format being ether 1700/1800/2000cc with twin single throat carbs, or better still Fuel injection, get a tunable aftermarket ECU then you can have a nice stock reliable lump good power and good MPG.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the quick reply bugsy, must admit i am leaning towards type 4 power but didnt want to discount other options at this stage. havnt set a budget yet! are the tunable aftermarket ECU's sold as complete kits or do they use all the exsisting vw injectors etc? any idea on cost? cheers, dave.

·
Registered
13,136 Posts
well there are alsorts available it would seem, for your own home brewed DIY system you end up making everything and lots o people talk about mega squirt, I think L.A.R.D said about an ECU they do(LA Performance) which is where I picked up on it. the system basically uses all the T4 injection stuff as far as i know, but it just uses a modern tunable brain to run it thus being able to tune a few more horses and a bit more fuel economy, although i think a T4 is an expencive route overall if you go the whole hog with the aftermarket brain.

·
25 character limit is cra
6,631 Posts
drm_old_speed said:
happy cruizing at 70mph which would be at just over 3000rpm with the current drive line fitted
I think you should verify your speedo and your tacho

:)

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
garethj said:
I think you should verify your speedo and your tacho

:)
Was just thinking the same, as my 2165 makes 60mph at around 3k revs as a nice steady cruising speed, but then again, i suppose your gearbox would actually dictate the speed to revs ratio.

G

·
In fairness we have no idea what ratios he's running so it is possible (but unlikely)
My bus cruises at 70mph with exactly 3864rpm and 80mph at 4210rpm (worked out properly and not guessed) on a stock 1600 twin port with a set of 40's (not that they make a huge difference).
The secret is in the gearing, I'm running a 4.124 final drive and a .89 top gear with 195/55/15 tyres - the engine doesn't really make any difference if you've not got the ratios. (I've seen 5000rpm in top down a bloody big hill which equates to 94mph :eek: )
Work your budget out and then you can look at what's available but the gearbox is just as important to get right as the engine.

Orb

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
"In fairness we have no idea what ratios he's running"

me neither!! the gearbox and irs was allready in when i bought the split. good point about the accuracy of the speedo. i havnt tried to confirm the reading, but am happy cruizing at that speed or just a bit higher. sounds like t4 could get a bit costly, but havnt ruled it out yet as i still havnt set a budget! i guess that would depend on what i was going to get for my money. thanks for all your replies. cheers, dave.

·
Registered
2,880 Posts
A type1 can get expensive too if you are power hungry! Any improvment over a stock 1600 will give you benefits, but you need to consider what your expectations are and understand that certain parts/combinations used in a bug will not suit your comparitively heavy bus. For example, stay with the thicker wall cylinders such as 90.5's, as they are more reliable than, say, 94's.
The choice is endless, but then so can be the cost.

·
Registered
21,202 Posts
I'm currently trying to weigh up the pros and cons of building a big engine for my '73 Bay (which is geared for a 1600cc engine).
I'm definatly going the stroker crank route, something like a 78mm crank for extra low-down torque.

At the moment, I'm toying between either 85.5 barrels and pistons (i.e. stock 1600cc) or 90.5 (i.e. 1776) however with the stroker crank the 85.5 gives a 1791cc displacement or the 90.5 gives a whopping 2007cc!

Cylinder heads and cam are gonna be stock for the moment (maybe with slightly larger valves) due to my limited budget. It does start to get quite expensive once you upgrade the cam as you'll need heavier duty rockers, springs, valves and pushrods.
I will be upgrading this area later when funds allow though.

·
Registered
2,880 Posts
AngelVenomous said:
I'm currently trying to weigh up the pros and cons of building a big engine for my '73 Bay (which is geared for a 1600cc engine).
I'm definatly going the stroker crank route, something like a 78mm crank for extra low-down torque.

At the moment, I'm toying between either 85.5 barrels and pistons (i.e. stock 1600cc) or 90.5 (i.e. 1776) however with the stroker crank the 85.5 gives a 1791cc displacement or the 90.5 gives a whopping 2007cc!

Cylinder heads and cam are gonna be stock for the moment (maybe with slightly larger valves) due to my limited budget. It does start to get quite expensive once you upgrade the cam as you'll need heavier duty rockers, springs, valves and pushrods.
I will be upgrading this area later when funds allow though.
If you are going for a stroker in your bus, then why not go for the largest stroke you can get? The cost is only slightly more if not the same for a 78mm or an 82mm. The longer the 'lever', the larger the torque! You will need to clearance a stock case for both anyway. I'm not so sure about running stock heads on a 2007 though...I think you will have issues with flow...and what would you use for induction?

Of course, cost is always an issue and the bigger the stroke, the more expensive it gets to provide a suitable top end. So a compromise may be a stock stroke and 90.5's giving 1776cc, with some basic 044's and go with a single twin choke carb. Cam choice could be something like an Engle 120/125 with 1.25 lifters and good quality heavy duty springs. This would give you a nice motor with noticable output.

Alternatively, remortgage and go for as big a stroke as possible using CB's slipper 94's, H beams, CNC 044's, E125 with 1.25 lifters, lightweight valve train, Webber 44's modified for boost with an SA90 turbo blowing into them! :D
Now this should get you up the hills ok!

·
Registered
21,202 Posts
Rob B said:
If you are going for a stroker in your bus, then why not go for the largest stroke you can get? The cost is only slightly more if not the same for a 78mm or an 82mm. The longer the 'lever', the larger the torque! You will need to clearance a stock case for both anyway. I'm not so sure about running stock heads on a 2007 though...I think you will have issues with flow...and what would you use for induction?

Of course, cost is always an issue and the bigger the stroke, the more expensive it gets to provide a suitable top end. So a compromise may be a stock stroke and 90.5's giving 1776cc, with some basic 044's and go with a single twin choke carb. Cam choice could be something like an Engle 120/125 with 1.25 lifters and good quality heavy duty springs. This would give you a nice motor with noticable output.

Alternatively, remortgage and go for as big a stroke as possible using CB's slipper 94's, H beams, CNC 044's, E125 with 1.25 lifters, lightweight valve train, Webber 44's modified for boost with an SA90 turbo blowing into them! :D
Now this should get you up the hills ok!
Well according to Paul Knight, a 78mm crank with 85.5mm pistons and barrels is a bit of a torque monster anyway.

With the 78mm crank I was gonna use Uni-Tech rods as they're chromoly, good for upto 150 bhp and the case won't really need clearancing around the bottom end (not that clearancing the case is a problem anyway).
I was gonna do a bit of flowing on the stock heads and like I say possibly some bigger valves.

It's gonna be fuel-injected too (my own design in fact!) all cylinders will have their own injector but the air will be fed by one common throttle body.

Like I say, this is a big engine on a small budget and I think I'll be pushing it (no pun intended) with a 82mm crank with 85.5mm pistons and barrels.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts