Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking into perhaps welding at my garage, but have no electricty points there. What generator would I require to run say a normal 100 watt welder, only gonna be at most be doing panel work, nothing complex.

I know there, something about the amount of juice start up a welder uses, but looked on specs for Clarkes ones and the most they use at any one time is 27amps? Tho the majority of welders can be used from a household supply, so the wattage can't be that much?

So techincally a 2KW generator should be more then enough?

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
ttt i'd also be interested in an answer on this one as i need to get a generator for the barn and want to get one that will do the job

ive been told to get a 5kw one and it will be fine but they are a lot more pricey

·
Registered
7,021 Posts
I tried to run my welder off a 2.2kw genny.... it would kinda work, but not properly, there seemed to be not enough power to get good penetration..

The problem that I found was that when the welder needed current, the genny needed time to get up to speed to produce the right power... and it couldn't do it quick enough.

That was with a clarke 151TE welder, set on a pretty low setting that worked normally when pluged into mains electric.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok cheers many thanks for the advice. Looks like I must have to switch to a garage that has elecy.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts