Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK i am a few years away from show winning but what does it take to win? a 4 grand paint job and a 5 grand interior?

What do you win? Cash trophies? Photo shoots in mags?

How do you get into it? is it worth it? I mean does it pay for its self if you win prizes?

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
People do it for the love of it.

There are no financial rewards when winning trophy's and getting magazine features, and as for how much does it cost? That depends on what year/type of car you start with, how much of the work you do yourself and in what style you build your car.

Alex.

·
Bless you, motherfuckers
25,652 Posts
vwbugster said:
what does it take to win?
Imagination, determination, perspiraion and lots of other 'ations... a £5K paint job ain't worth a hill-o-beans if the car looks like a dogs dinner... you could win a trophy on a very tight budget if your car grabs the judges attention and you don't enter concours events... start with show n shine and daily driver...

·
Registered
8,037 Posts
I think you'll find that a lot of people who own such cars, on the show and shine, have spent a lot more than 9K.

it's all the other bits. Unless you buy one done, don't really expact to get any change out of £20k.

You do it for the love of your car, there are no financial benifits at all, in fact it'll make you poor.

·
Registered
820 Posts
vwbugster said:
OK i am a few years away from show winning but what does it take to win? a 4 grand paint job and a 5 grand interior?

What do you win? Cash trophies? Photo shoots in mags?

How do you get into it? is it worth it? I mean does it pay for its self if you win prizes?
All that has been mentioned!!

It takes time! 'had mine for 10 years now and it's only been on the road for two and a half ..... it IS my daily driver now though :D )

Imagination/Vision/patience, to do it right, in my humble opinion :p , you have to think it through and KNOW what you want before you set out, or it can turn out half arsed and you'll never quite be happy with it.

It takes money!! sometimes lots, other times not but either way it's going to cost you ............ in sooooo many ways! :D
Though don't think you HAVE to spend £££££'s, my car should've been sponsored by Ebay!! And if you do as much as you can yourself, without the pro's you can save yourself a bundle!

(Case in point, a freinds 17 year old daughter, Emily, bought a ROUGH Mk1 Triple white Golf GTi cab' off of here earlier this year. She spent a few hundred quid on it and LOTS and LOTS of time and effort. Result = Two shiny trophies at VWAction and the biggest smile in Britain!)

What do you win? Shiney things! occasionally cash, but charities needs it more than you so that's pretty null and void :D The respect and admiration of your peers?? Sounds corny but cool comments from the showgowers is worth more than any trophy!

Photo Shoots in the mags? If you build it (well enough :incheek: ) and it's something different ........they will come.

Is it worth it? Hell yeah! Does it pay for itself? no, never will in a million years, as the guys say above,

"People do it for the love of it".

"It's a hobby, not a sport".

There I've gone on for too long ..... but you did ask :D

Al

·
Somewhere else...........
3,418 Posts
Its how much cash & who you know in the show game.

Dont set out expecting anything.....do it for yourself ;)

:hangloose

·
Banned
26,771 Posts
getting the right base car in the first place hgas a lot to do with it, buy a rock solid shell and everything else will naturally happen.

Doesnt have to be a money pit especially if you can do stuff yourself and it certainly dont need to be a names car either to succeed. PLenty out there like Coffe and Cream for instance were all home brewed and have swept the board!

·
Registered
820 Posts
TonyM said:
Its how much cash & who you know in the show game.

Dont set out expecting anything.....do it for yourself ;)

:hangloose
Not so mate. :( .... cynic?

My car was NEVER intended to be a show car, I just got a wee bit carried away building the car that I wanted.

Al

·
Registered
45,845 Posts
better than cash, better than a normal throphy mine won this, looks ace hung on the wall and i didnt need to get a shiny paintjob either :D the only bad bit is when you turn round and everyones staring at you :eek:

·
Registered
820 Posts
westy77 said:
better than cash, better than a normal throphy mine won this, looks ace hung on the wall and i didnt need to get a shiny paintjob either :D the only bad bit is when you turn round and everyones staring at you :eek:

Now THAT'S cool!!

Al

·
Premium Member
7,831 Posts
It doesn't necessarily need money, just a good presentation and a car that is 'interesting' in some way. That doesn't mean perfect, just on that attracts your attention in some way.

Much to my surprise at the time, my '66 won Best of Show at Beach Buggin' in 2001. I haven't spent a fortune on it, and I even spent half an hour talking to the judges (not realising who they where) and pointing out all the defects :D

Also, don't build a car and expect it to win prizes. Just enter the show and shine for the fun of entering and you'll have a great time :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts