Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
20,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some cars - Rover 75 for example - are obviously designed to be driven someone who is retired with wearing a trilby and smoking a pipe.

So what is it that makes them such - and examples.

For me the Passat is in the same category - but I have an inkling people will disagree.

Despite what Raggedy Racing might think - Cadillacs and Impalas are the same.

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
Mrs LLM thinks any estate is an old mans car.. Well all except and Impreza WRX Wagon !!...

I remember years ago when my grand dad passed away we inheritted his FSO Polonez 1.5 complete with factory wellers and a sponge spoiler on the boot... Now that was an old man car !!! :lol:

·
Registered
672 Posts
old man's car? its usually the one still claiming to be flying the british flag...

most large rovers.. apart from mine.. because i'm an old woman..

hehehehe

·
Retired Mr.Vzi
23,279 Posts
Any big saloon according to digs aimed at me. I've long been a fan of 5 series saloons amongst others and never really been one for tinpot hatches. I got branded an old man (I was 32 at the time!) but I know why I drive cars like that and once you convert to 'old man' cars you'll never want to go back to tinny little piles of turd*.
:)
* My bug excluded of course ;)

·
Registered
595 Posts
Anything that tends to get driven exclusively by the blue rinse or trilby and pipe brigade. It's usually big enough to make it an obstruction on country roads, and has the indicator relay taken out on purchase.

It also has a throttle restrictor that means it does a consistent 15 mph less than the posted speed limit, making it quicker to be stuck behind a tractor. The next step in his/her transportation career WILL be a hearse.

Ric

·
Registered
15,742 Posts
Once, when making a planned trip up north, my VW broke down requiring me to hire a car. When I turned up at the hire place, the new beetle I had ordered wasn't there and instead I was issued a Rover 75 sedan (not tourer mind).

On the way back south, I stopped in at the Liverpool Ikea and purchased a set of pine bunkbeds, which I was able to put into the sedan and close the doors.

Old man's car my arse. This is clearly the car for a young family.

·
Registered
20,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Disagree that all estates are old blokes cars - early BMW Tourings are never a Trilby and pipe car.

All the big Japanese and Korean cars are old blokes cars - ie Nissan QX - V6 and cheap - yet will always be weraing a hat and fully of old shag.

·
Registered
610 Posts
I'm an old bloke - never had any of the above ... yet.

I regularly see some old geezer with really white hair beard and a pipe in some old Austin or something - I think the package looks really cool!

·
Holy Calamity
67,032 Posts
Thats more like it - yes a boot on a car that was designed as a hatch.
Yeah... I know the Orion was specifically targetted at that market, old folk prefer "proper" cars with a "proper" boot, none of this modern new-fangled hatchback nonsense :lol:

I think the Mk3 Granada kinda failed for similar reasons - wasn't a great success when introduced as a hatch only, it took the booted one to boost things a bit. They definitely weren't aimed at young people :)

·
Registered
4,872 Posts
Just about any car with a boot (or as Darren says, a booted version of a hatch), or a large car with a hatch that's styled to look as if it had a boot. Bland styling, with chrome accents/trim to give the wafer thin illusion of quality/class. Wooden dash/door inserts. And if it was ever made with the option of beige - either paint or interior, or both.

That's why the Rover ticks off so many of those boxes. But some larger Jap and French cars are like that too.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts