Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just bought a laptop and will be giving the old PC to my inlaw's. How do i make sure it is free of my 'old' files. Pics, movies 'ahem', etc etc. :D

Is there free software that i can download to do this for me.?

Cheers, Richie

·
Registered
5,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've got the original Window's disc, but how do i format the hard drive.?

·
snide twat
39,982 Posts
ianbott said:
Right click on c or d drive whatever you have, then click format.
err, no.

just boot off the windows cd and follow the instructions, it asks if you weant to format the drive during the install process, just say 'yes'

·
snide twat
39,982 Posts
ianbott said:
Err what?
Speak english man, i've always formatted mine the way i explained.
you cannot format the boot partition while windows is running, unless you're using some older version of win95 ...

·
snide twat
39,982 Posts
ianbott said:
If there is no partition like on most lower spec comps, it can be done though right? Explain the boot process please.
Thanks Ian.
ALL hard drives have a partition, even if it's one partition taking up the whole drive. This has been the case since DOS (and earlier)

if windows is installed on C: you cannot format C: while windows is running.

·
Registered
134 Posts
if you really want to erase everything you need to use an overwriting application like wipedrive or nukedisc. this overwrites the drive with binary code a few times and wipes everything. the drive will afterwards be unformatted and clear of movies and 'aherm' things ;). if you only format the drive the stuff is still there but the pc acts as if it isnt.
The new owner would need some hard drive rescue software to be able to view all your movies etc.

wipedrive runs from a floppy from the dos prompt and takes hours to finish.

Hope this helps :)

http://www.freedownloadscenter.com/Utilities/Disk_Maintenance_and_Repair_Utilities/WipeDrive.html

PS. you dont have to pay for this kind of program. google for a bit and ye shall find.
If that fails PM me and I'll send you a copy of wipedrive via email.

·
Registered
5,674 Posts
i've just run clean up on my pc and this is what it told me

CleanUp! 4.5.2 recovered 17.22 GB of disk space from 146135 files. Wow! You really needed that.
CleanUp! finished on 09/25/06 19:34:46.

:lol: no wonder it was running a bit slow

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
dirtypidj said:
same here, what do I stand to lose if I don't :tick:
It would be very unlikely for any problems to occur, i personally did not back up my H/D but it would be your choice, just create a restore point and if you have any problems you can just revert back to that point where everything worked ok.

As someone has already said it cleared 17 gig from his comp, now imagine if you only have say a 100 gig thats nearly a fifth of all space wasted. Once first done just keep on top by doing oncew a month or so.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts