Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of teaching myself to weld so that I can get my first car back on the road as a rat look and it would also double up as practice before I set my sights on giving my oval a body off resto.

It'll lower the cost of the resto, plus I'm a bit of a perfectionist and as the saying goes if you want something done properly then you have to do it yourself so thats what I want to do.

So can anyone out there recomend what type of welder I should get to this type of job (floorpan, shell, heater channels etc). Ohh and anything else that I would need as well as a welder.

Bare in mind that I haven't got a clue about welding and I've never seen one in the flesh.

Thanks

·
Registered
490 Posts
you need a mig welder......it, like everything else, depends on your budget.....something cheap from machine-mart or the like for around £200 (eg. sip 130amp or clarke brand) will do you ok to learn on, as long as your only dealing with sheetmetal bodywork etc.....if you plan on doing some heavier stuff....like 5 to 7mm thick ( axle adjusters / transmission mounts)its best to go for something like a 170amp or higher
a really good welder is a butters 185amp...look on ebay stores...just under £400 delivered...it'll last forever & do all you'll need.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
I went for a sip 130 turbo.. my first mig welder. It's been very good with six different settings to weld all thicknesses. I evn made myself a sheet folder out of 6mm angle and it welded to that perfectly, even tho the max thickness for this model is supposed to be 4mm! Have a look on ebay, but it's worth getting one that you know hasn't been abused etc. I think the 130 is around £140, but shop around. Also get yourself a book about learning to mig weld. SIP do one.. it's very helpful and explains everything.

Good luck...once you get the hang of it, its not difficult at all.

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
^^^^^^^^^^^
Pretty much what he said. I would avoid the gasless welders, as I feel you get a better job with a normal gas type. There should be plenty around for about £200. Try & get your supplier to throw in some goodies like reels of wire, tips, regulator kit, visor, gauntlets etc.
Also try and steer clear of the small disposable gas bottles if you can, they work out really expensive. If you can, get CO2 on hire, or bribe your local landlord for a bottle (it's the same stuff they use for draught beer) Oh and...

Practice makes perfect.

And it may seem like an oversight, but you'll need to learn to remove metal properly as well. Drill out spot welds with the proper tool. Prying at them with a large screwdriver just gives you a heap of tidying up to do afterwards. 1mm cutting discs are perfect for panel removal too as you can 'draw' a cut on the surface.

You may also be interested (or forced by budget) to make panels. For this you'll need hammers & dollys. visit frost.co.uk they sell pretty much everything you'll need, but funnily enough don't have a decent selection of MIGs.

Good luck

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the advice guys but as for the .....
john-g5 said:
Buy this:
http://www.volkszone.com/VZi/showthread.php?t=301681
free auto helmet with it too! bargain...
I never realised they were so dam big and Liconshire is a little too far to travel.

I'll shop around local and internet (who deliever) first before I commit myself, as I said I don't have a scooby doo about any of this stuff...yet!

·
Registered
179 Posts
I've had a few welders and found that a Clarke machine is better than the SIP, SIP welders have not got a very good wire feed roller and on the couple I have had they both slipped and didn't feed the wire through constantly. If your going for a bigger style welder I would recomend a Murex Trades mig, I use these a work and they are very reliable. CO2 gas is good enough but if your a perfectionist try a CO2/Argon mix called Cougar SG or cougar 15.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts