Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Help! I'm trapped in here
19,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm gonna replace all the fuel pipe on the 58 Bug and the 66 Split.

What size fuel line do I need? Can both of them have the same size? Or does it differ?

The 58 has a 1200 and the Split has a 1600.

·
19,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What's the difference between pipe and hose? Is the pipe from the tank to the first connection? And hose the bits to the carb etc?

·
Registered
10,675 Posts
Shamrockez said:
Oh I see! Is is best to replace the metal bits? Do they fail?
They can and do rust over the years.

Its best to use some copper or similiar pipe to replace them as its a lot easier to bend and shape and being copper it wont rot away easily ;) Your local auto factors should have some (normally a roll) very cheaply.

I am not sure how the fuel pipes run in splits at all ... or even early bugs (i suspect the same as the later ones with the main one inside the tunnel) ... Most peeps run the replacement bug one inside the floor on the opposite side to the brake pipe (remove floor covering to see how brake pipe runs) , theres a few threads on this about.

Its not hard to do , its a bit time consuming but its ok :)

·
19,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Splits only have a very small length of metal pipe, so that shouldn't be hard to replace.

I'm not sure about the Bug either - but my guessing is the same as yours. Guess that's a job which will be easier to do with the engine and gearbox out? They are at the moment...

·
Registered
10,675 Posts
Shamrockez said:
I'm not sure about the Bug either - but my guessing is the same as yours. Guess that's a job which will be easier to do with the engine and gearbox out? They are at the moment...
Its not bad to do the main pipe. You need to just drill the front and rear bulkheads for the fuel pipe. (Get good grommets for these) The reason for fitting it in the car instead of the tunnel is for access reasons , its going to be really difficult to secure it in there due to no access space.

Basically you shape the new pipe around the tunnel edge (inside the car) on the opposite side to the brake pipe. If you remove the floor covering and see the brake pipe you will see how to do it. You can secure it with some "p" clips or something similiar. :)

The smaller sections should be easy , just remove the old pipe and make a new pipe to the same shape + refit :D

(Ideal time to add a fuel filter somewhere too if you dont already have one fitted)

Sorry i am not too good at explaining things sometimes :eek:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts