Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
21,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What I don't understand is why people will spend thousands on an engine or even a paint job but won't spend a few hundred on getting a rewire.
I've now lost count on the amount of cars I've seen with what can only be described as a "rat's nest" where the electrics should be and I dread to think how many cars could've been saved from fires by doing the electrics properly.

As a few of you already know, I'm writing a book on VW electricals and whilst it's coming along nicely, the amount of people who just want me to "bodge it together for the MOT" or "just get the lights working" when the whole electrical system is giving up is really starting to frustrate me. :(

So, as part of the book I'm going to include a "horror" section illustrating exactly what will happen. I have various scrap wiring looms and a scrap car (not a VW - I wouldn't torture a VW for this!) and I'm going to fit a loom which was taken out of an aircooled to this scrap car and connect a battery. I'll photo/video the results and I can tell you now, it ain't gonna be pretty.....

·
Registered
17,066 Posts
AngelVenomous said:
As a few of you already know, I'm writing a book on VW electricals and whilst it's coming along nicely...
C'mon, chop chop, I'm waiting. :D

I'm shit at electrics, if it's not on fire, it's good. :coffeecup

cheers,
type3

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
yes, it's not that hard to do it properly yourself, it takes only time and patients, and the willing to learn.

11,869 Posts
that is the bestest fuzzbox i have evar seen :D

reminds me of when i drove my bro's bug when i was about 19 (fucking ages ago) and all ofa sudden smoke strated to pour through the vents in the dash!!

I pulled over kwik sharp and lifted up the bonnet to find an old manky polyester duvet (shag blanket) pushed up into the back of the dash which had no cardboard protector!!

mmmmmmmmmmm nice, the smell of hot burning spunk staines will be with me forever! :(

·
Help! I'm trapped in here
19,209 Posts
This is why we're rewiring both our current projects - not worth the risk for the money it costs to replace the loom.

·
Registered
9,063 Posts
AngelVenomous said:
The worrying thing is I've seen that done for real more than once! :eek:
I may aswell ask you seeing as this thread is here - I want to replace my fusebox with a nice covered blade fuse box. Partly because, well, they're shit but I also want to add some neat expansion for other devices. What ya recommend?

·
Registered
21,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
hermand said:
I may aswell ask you seeing as this thread is here - I want to replace my fusebox with a nice covered blade fuse box. Partly because, well, they're shit but I also want to add some neat expansion for other devices. What ya recommend?
In my rewires I use two of these:

(I use the 8 fuse version though)
From here:
http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.co.uk/VWPweb2000/fuse-1/fuse-1.html
Look for Ref:FBB8T (about halfway down the page)

I wire it up so one's permenantly live and the other only goes live when you switch the ignition on (this is done via a relay rather than 90% of the electrics going through the ignition switch!)

·
Registered
9,063 Posts
AngelVenomous said:
In my rewires I use two of these:

(I use the 8 fuse version though)
From here:
http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.co.uk/VWPweb2000/fuse-1/fuse-1.html
Look for Ref:FBB8T (about halfway down the page)

I wire it up so one's permenantly live and the other only goes live when you switch the ignition on (this is done via a relay rather than 90% of the electrics going through the ignition switch!)
And what's the best way to bridge the connections so it matches the VW fusebox? i.e. 1 & 2 having the same input, 3 & 4, 5 & 6 etc.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
type3 said:
Do you know what I like about that... even the screws aren't the same size! :lol:

cheers,
type3
Err der; its obvious why the screws are different sizes, dummy!

The different sizes are for the different amp ratings! :crazy: :D

·
Registered
21,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
hermand said:
And what's the best way to bridge the connections so it matches the VW fusebox? i.e. 1 & 2 having the same input, 3 & 4, 5 & 6 etc.
The best thing to do IMHO is NOT have it match the VW fusebox! It certainly wasn't the best way to do it.

This is what I'd recommend:
First of all, disconnect the battery, get under your van and snip the wire coming directly from the starter solenoid going to the front of the van.
Then fit one of these with a 50 amp strip fuse directly from the battery + terminal:

Now run a new length of 70 amp wire from this fuse to your fusebox.

You're gonna have to try and trace where everything goes and connect it to a point on the fuse box (personally I'd just rewire it whilst you're on if you're going to all this trouble).

Connect one side of each fusebox together. Connect a relay to one fusebox so it only has power when the ignition switch is on.

1 - 20 of 95 Posts