Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So as title really, is there much difference between them or am I better getting my vw solex refurbed.

Cheers Simon :hangloose

·
I'm not an addict... honest!
4,529 Posts
I have a bocar, it works fine BUT.... They aren't put together too well from new. I had to strip mine down, blow all the crap out and rebuild it.

Is your solex really that bad or will a rebuild kit sort it out??

Ado

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its leaking on the butterfly shafty thing. there are signs of petrol on the ends of the shaft so I think it must be quite bad.
Simon

·
Registered
8,832 Posts
I rebuilt a carb with a kit from Heritage, wasn't overly impressed with the kit for the price (model specific) as the float pin was too long and I had some bits left over, which you shouldn't right?

But it has done the trick. It was leaking from the butterfly and the carb works beautifully. About £13 I think and a couple of days of acetone, cracked skin, more acetone, some carb cleaner and some compressed air.

Well worth it. And clean the carb exterior first. Don;t use acetone on any rubber bits you want to save/the new bits, as it will rot.

A proressional rebuild will cost about £45 but worth every penny if you want a "brand new" carb

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Phone Laurie Ellis - 01724 720553 to get your Solex rebuilt. Aftermarket replacements are poor quality and wear out quickly.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Not sure where he's from (I only know him from stalls at VW rallies), but the sentiments are echoed. You won't do better than get an original rebuilt by him, especially if there's wear in the butterfly shaft to deal with. I'm sure it was closer to £80 the last time I had one of his rebuilds but it was worth every penny.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts