Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
3,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to find out what the laws are for working on you car on the driveway.
I've just finished fitting a new engine to the beetle yesterday and done the 20 minute bedding in run and drained the oil. Today I put the new oil in and started the old girl up with the plan off balancing the carbs and setting the mixtures up but my shitty next door neighbour comes out screaming and shouting say she is going to report me to the environment agency. Now I was nit reving the engine nor was it pumping out black smoke. I never leave any of my cars running unnecessary only if I have a job to do and that's like once a year. Any way does anyone on here no what the law states about working and running you cars engine on your own driveway?

· Saddest VZi'er 2017
10,533 Posts
You'd have to be making lots of noise at unsociable hours regularly to fall foul of the council's noise nuisance bylaws.
As above, disarm her by popping round and saying sorry but older cars need maintenance work regularly.
If she was having a block paved drive and the builders were running a chopsaw, whacker etc all day would that be allowed? Of course. It's live and let live

· Registered
3,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well that didn't work.
Went round to say sorry and I just got personally blamed for melting the ice caps and polluting the air she breather.
In her words " I just don't understand why old polluting cars like yours are allowed on the roads, its because of them that the ice caps are melting and the air I breath has been poison"
Well if that's the way she thinks she isn't going to like me at all. Nit only do I have a smell polluting beetle I also have a mega polluting V8 mustang 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

I've just called her husband who I get on with tell him what has just happened and that I want a chat with him so he will be round later.
I've been living at my new place for one and a half years and this is the first time she has ever spoken to me.

· Registered
48 Posts
Ask her where the lithium comes from for the electric car she wants/owns ...... 🙄

But, in answer to your Q, l would work on the basis of you can do what you like noisewise etc between 07.30 and 10.30 (l think thats the times).

Keep calm, carry on and ignore.

· Registered
139 Posts
I have rebuilt my ghia in the front drive.
I always pop round to warn them if I am going to be grinding for any length of time.
Mind you one neibhour has a beetle and a type 2 camper, the other has had building work going on for the last 5 years.
So it all balances out in the end.

· Registered
2,678 Posts
Man. I’ve had an ongoing battle with my neighbour over exactly this, we moved in to our house in our mid twenty’s and she didn’t take well to me working on my cars on the drive which has a “shared“ boundary down the middle. All I’d say is that some years ago it came to a point where we had a massive falling out over it, some weeks later my wife even told her to f**k off and never set foot on our property again and not once was I out there late making noise or being anti social.

She’s mellowed a bit in recent years, and I’ve even helped her out a bit on occasion. We’ve lived next to her for nearly 20 years now.

My bugs been on ramps the last few weeks while I’ve been rebuilding the engine and I was expecting some bad vibes from her however I was chatting politely to her yesterday morning and explained what I’d been doing, talked about electric cars and my feelings about them as an aside, explained what I’d been up to with the bug and she genuinely seemed like she was impressed I could do that and even remembered id told her years ago that my old man taught me how to work on them.

It might take a while but - Kill them with kindness 😉

· Registered
977 Posts
My neighbor reported me for running a business from my property. I have a 66 beelte, 65 splitty, T25 and a couple of other non VWs. I spend a lot of time working on the vehicles and my kids vehicles also. It was a right pain when the council got involved - took weeks to resolve and the threatened me that if they receive another complaint they will take further action.
She knows i didnt run a business but she made things a pain in the arse for a while.

· Registered
3,743 Posts
you can work on your own personal vehicles at home and make lots of noise, there's nothing illegal about it busy bodies like to make life hard work for folks, legally there's zero they can do about it, even running a business from home isnt illegal, working on cars etc as a business is one exception, but only for a business

· Registered
3,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the replies everyone, it seems that it's not the nosie but the smell she doesn't like, apparently its smelling out her house and affecting her kids breathing. I've told her that I do and will be working on the car but foe the moment we have come to a comprise and that is if I can do the engine work when she's out I will but time will tell if this will work or not

· Registered
135 Posts
Shit man, i regularly work on my trike in the spring/summer on my drive and it has dual cannons without silencers😂😂😂the neighbour who lived there when i moved in 30 odd year ago i fell out with and i didn't give 2 $&*ks what he thought when he complained. He eventually sold up 2 year ago. The new neighbours got tuned in the minute they moved in as to what goes on and that's how it is. I try not to be a nuisance and do most of the adjusting/tuning at my garage. GL!

· Registered
8,049 Posts
Best thing to do in these situations is to keep a noise diary of when you are working on it, dates and times. If the council do contact you because someones made a complaint its because they have to, not that they necessarily believe the other person. As long as you can show you're being reasonable and not grinding away every day till the evenings they are usually fine about it (been there done that, most of it made up, nothing came of it)

· Registered
678 Posts
Sounds like the bell end next to me. He hates me and my buggy. Reckons i am satan in disguise. Last year i was going to a show in the buggy and i popped back in the house as i forgot my wallet, left it running as it likes heat with 40's on it, anyway there he was standing on my drive taking a video if it and me on his phone blocking me from leaving. I had a little chat to me and explained where his phone will be put and if he didn't move i'd run him over and he tried to tell me that my buggy smells, fills his house with fumes so he was recording it to send to the council!!! How can you smell it on a phone, dick head!!! I reported him to norfolk plod who had him in, he showed them the video and admitted he did it and plod did nothing! reckons its not illegal fo him to take video of me on my property!! The bloke is a total tool, he sits in his front garden on a bench watching us so i roll the buggy out on the drive and fire it up, he soon goes in!
Plod have told me there is nothing he can do as its all legal, mot etc so as long as it's not early am or late pm i can have it running all day if i please.
I don't care if i upset him, not spoken to him for over a year and don't miss the nosey old sod walking in my garage opening my tool cabinet to see what I've got and watching everything i do. I've put a camo net screen up between him and me now so he can't watch my wife anymore and he's getting taken to civil court for illegally bolting his shed and garage to my garage wall a foot inside my boundary. Think yourself lucky you don't live here, you're welcome to come and tune it on my drive anytime though.

· Registered
678 Posts
My neighbour cuts half the top of the hedge and cuts my tree which is next to the hedge, its cut so it's not in his air space. Ahhahahaha.
The idiot next to me let his hedge grow 4 feet in to my garden before i bought the house then tried to tell me that i wasn't allowed to cut the hedge as the boundary had now moved to the middle of the hedge!! He was interviewed by plod for threatening to smash my fence up and told plod that we should move our gate not trim the hedge as he owned it, even the part over the boundary in our garden. The man is mental.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts