Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
5,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just don't know much about them, how come they were built as splits after the bay was made?

How come they don't seem to be as desirable?

(OK the lack of non tax exempt bit I understand but what else?)

thanks in advance!

·
Registered
12,358 Posts
They were actually built by satan and each one bears his mark.

Or something. I think it might have more to do with the alleged poorer quality steel used in their construction, plus the aforementioned tax not exemptness. I like them though - on balance I think I'd rather have a Fleetline than a normal Split.

·
Registered
5,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cheers Autohausdolby, just done a search and found a few more things out....

Fleetlines were made during the mid to late ish 70's in Brazil and assembled in South Africa

The first ones were based on a '58 Split and later ones had a Bay front grafted onto the same Split body.

The Fleetlines were made up of various parts from different years and parts bins but it is a rare beast with only 789 being made.

High Hinges on the cargo doors from the 50's early 60's

rear hatch has the earlier piano hinge

the front badge is actually pressed through from the back of the clip

an extra seam in the "long panel"

bay fuel tank

early split running gear

knobs on the dash are mostly bay

mmmmmmmmmmmm interesting :)

·
Registered
6,958 Posts
The fleetline splits are built from left over parts. So you get a mix mash of 14 and 15 window busses.

The immediate differences are that the running gear is usually bay window. (so an improvement)

When you look down the side of a fleetline there is a seam where a panel joins just infront of the rear arch. On a pre 67 bus the panel is complete. those are the diffences I know, there's probably quite a few more.

But the real answer to your question is nothing. :D

·
Registered
5,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
more info from VZi search :D

Just going to read that thread Autohausdolby ;)

12v from factory
1600 twin port engine as std.
high hinge cargo doors
fuel sender access hole above the tank, accessible from inside
embossed VW badge on the front
Plus some more stuff

Points to note:
They tend to rust on the gutters if anywhere, particularly from the inside so look above the cab doors, cargo doors and windscreen inside the bus.

They have a King & Link Pin front end so check for play there

The rear hatch has a piano hinge instead of the 'arms' seen in many buses so check that is not rusted away and opens freely.

The cargo doors are the early style and are hard to replace (rare) so check the condition.

·
Registered
12,492 Posts
Autohausdolby said:
Oh, and if you buy one a scary South African guy comes on here and shouts at you for ripping his country off in the style of the Old Volks Home and German Folks threads :lol:

www.fleet15.co.uk is worth a visit :)
well it certainly was not me....!!! not scary at all. (according to some people)

but hell, if people wanna sell em there, and there is a buyer here....

fuck it!! thats how my 63 bug is here.... :incheek:

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
I reckon VW South Africa are awesome..... 1st they produce a splitty that drives like a Bay, then a T25 with the Audi 2.5ltr that cruises at 102mph (I've got 1 :D ) and they're still making an updated Mk1 Goof GTi. Sweet!

·
Help! I'm trapped in here
7,988 Posts
paradoxically

you cannot suggest that the front panel with the stamped badge, is the brasilian die

-or that the shorter panel was either

--my take on this is thus
in 1963

-all the old dies and presses in went to brasil -the upto 1963 body style

-in brasil, they were making the earlier style splits until 67
ie the early flat long sides -early door stamps -high hinge
-the bullet front panel

-early style dagger doors -

early rear hatch dies -

all early stuff -

until 1967, the bay was introduced
so the big nut trans stuff, and late beam stuff went to brasil
-the germans kept the handle dies, and everything else that is taken from the split to bay

so in 67 the brasil splitty gets the late front panel, egg indicators
12 volt stuff, late trans and front brakes

but it still uses the old doors -it probably wasn't worth shipping the dies

-Then, when the bay changes 71-72 in germany, the old bay stamps etc go to brasil

-THEN ALL THE OLD STUFF IS THEN SET TO SOUTH AFRICA
-from brasil

-they dont send the long panel die, or the front panel
-they make a new front panel die there
-they make a new 2 piece long side die

thus endeth the lesson

-ps, it also tallies that the single port 1600cc went to south african
direct in 71, and bradsil gets the twin port

you can add to the list of parts as they become defuct in germany, get sent to brasil, and then onto s/a

-try it yourself!

-it is probably worth noting that, the forges/stamping machines, that were in use in 1950, probably ended up in s/a, as they were replaced in germany and brasil, with newer machines

-makes sense to me

·
Registered
8,713 Posts
busbuddy said:
even I wouldn't buy one of them
Says the man with that shed of a Wedge?

hmm, An early style split camper which are rust free, RHD and come from a warm climate.

The differences in metal is bollocks. They are the same guage. That said.. The steel on a fleetline is still much better than the thin crap used to patch up "original busses".

They use early split running gear as well (They use reduction boxes)

Obviously I'm going to defend them, I have one. I dont get the snobbery in the VW scene about them.

Like a good man on here said to me once, I'd rather have a 15 Window fleetline than a bog standard late 11 window.

You pays your money, you takes your choice.

·
Registered
21,202 Posts
Isn't there something really weird like the current Bays produced in Brazil have king and linkpin front beams from splittys?

And how about that Bay/Splitty hybrid they had? It had the front up to the ends of the cab doors of a Bay but from there it had splitty windows and doors (apart from the later Bay tail lights). I kinda like them!

·
Registered
78,063 Posts
TrolleyWheels said:
Says the man with that shed of a Wedge?

hmm, An early style split camper which are rust free, RHD and come from a warm climate.
what about a RHD 61 with all original panels and no rust :D :lol:

·
Registered
12,492 Posts
bootscooter said:
I reckon VW South Africa are awesome..... 1st they produce a splitty that drives like a Bay, then a T25 with the Audi 2.5ltr that cruises at 102mph (I've got 1 :D ) and they're still making an updated Mk1 Goof GTi. Sweet!
bootscooter - those mk1 golfs yes......they are still amazing cars....and go like foooookkkk!!! trust me....my friend had one (before it got solen) and was Fecking amazing!! and it was not even a gti!!! was just an 1800 Carburettor version, but got rid of a lot of other cars very quickly....!!!!! : :D :D :D :D :D :D

btw - fleetlines rock!!!! :hangloose :D :D

1 - 20 of 46 Posts