Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that changing the wheel size will alter my speedo reading on my Bug, but is this also the same for other cars ie Golf?

·
Holy Calamity
67,056 Posts
It's the same, aye. It's not so much the wheel size as the overall circumference... In the 80s Pirelli launched the "+1" concept which consisted of Alloys that were an inch bigger than stock, with tyres that had a correspondingly smaller sidewall. The rolling radius was the same, so the speedo was unaffected (I guess it would be a little bit though). You drove in, had them fitted, and drove out again:

They were fitted as stock to some Golfs (like mine - the "Campaign") and the speedos etc are identical to regular GTIs :)

·
Registered
25,882 Posts
i have that with my bug. apparently that is why the speedo is out. apparently there is no fix. i just have to guess. :rolleyes:

·
Help! I'm trapped in here
52,672 Posts
It is how Darren said, if you go up an inch in wheel size you must come down that much in tyre profile. For example if a car is fitted with a 13" rim and a 175/70 tyre and you then put on a 14" rim they tyre would now be a 185/60 and so on, keeping the same rolling radius. That is how I understand things any way.

·
Registered
25,882 Posts
so basically i have the wrong tyres for the rims i have? if i can change that my speedo might correct itself a little. actually i am now used to guessing :rolleyes:

·
Help! I'm trapped in here
52,672 Posts
You can get clearance problems if it is radically lowered. Wrong tyre sizes can also screw up your gearing, costing you fuel.

·
Registered
25,882 Posts
:lol: my bug eats fuel.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That link is brilliant! Thanks

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I wonder how many people there are out there with non standard wheels on their cars unaware of the fact that their speedos are not in-sync!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts