Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
I'm not an addict... honest!
3,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i did have mine mounted under the luggage area just above the gearbox, but know i'm building a 2.3 i'm figuring this may not be the best local !, so where is yours ??

·
Registered
20,445 Posts
I've put mine above the gearbox and given it as much air space around it as possible.
The air flow around that area will be very turbulent and non directional and so I have not bothered with ducting or fans as I am not certain thyey will be working with or against the flow.

To get a good flow I can oly think of on the roof (!!!!) or under the front bumber - which is what Porsche did.

·
Registered
20,445 Posts
My thinking was this - if the Beetle is stationary the normal air fan is possibly over cooling it and the engine will cool down, if it is running fast up hill the oil will get hot but there is air flow and so the oil cooler will doing its job.

Like most things to do with the flow of turbulent fluids (and gasses being compressible are even more pesky) it is very difficult to determine what is going on for real.

But my oil temp gauge observations appear to follow what I surmise - well roughly it does.
I think the fans will be useful if you are pulling up hill with a load, ie generating heat with low air flow.

Perhaps someone who reads the books can say what the works Austrain rally cars had?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts