Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
its a just wondering post really. some people put the fuel filter before the fuel pump which makes sence to me to stop shit getting in it but lots of people put it bore the carb which also makes sence. so i dunno. just wondering.

im going to buy a bug thats been standing a while and i was going to start it off the fuel tank. should i put the filter before the tank and take a spare? or what? obvously i want to hear it going!

cheers guys :hangloose

sorry guys double post! use the other 1. im an idiot

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
I don't quite unserstand the second part of your post. However, the fuel filter should be placed under the fuel tank, ideally. If not, under the rear luggage panel, but never in the engine compartment and never, never between the fuel pump and the carb.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Peter said:
but never in the engine compartment and never, never between the fuel pump and the carb.
Why?

I disagree.

IF the filter is mounted over the distributor and IF you don't use metric woven hose and IF you don't use clamps and IF you do maintain the ignition so it doesn arc and IF you let the filter get so old that it leaks and IF you use a cheap filter.... you can have a fire.

I've been running dual carbs for over 25 years with the filters mounted away from the distributor, used only German hose, use hose clamps, change the hose ever 5 years and maintain my ignition system. I've never had a fuel or ignition related fire in 400,000 miles.

There's no reason the filter can't be on the high pressure (3-5psi) side of the pump.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Mr.010 said:
There is risk that when mounting the filter between the pump and carb, that the weight of the filter may 'bounce' up and down and work loose the brass connecting pipe at the carb. When this comes loose, fuel is pumped all over the engine.

In other cases, if (like yourself) you are very caring about the maintenance of your engine, then there will be many potential problems that you will never have to face. For most, though, that is not the case. I would not want to let anyone think that they can place the filter in the engine compartment, as I can't be sure how they, or subsequent owners, will maintain it.

·
Registered
942 Posts

yep right about this one...
when i brought my van it had the filter in between the carb and the pump!! so i changed the lines and when i went to pull the hose off it came with the insert :eek: ....ha.. lucky i found that one... :D

·
Registered
6,228 Posts
Much controversy about this one, but my view is: Why increase any potential risk? If you want to put one in the fuel line, put it under the tank. It cuts down the number of joints in the pipe in the engine bay, and if anythinf IS going to leak, I'd rather it did so out of harms way & not on top of the ignition

·
Registered
636 Posts
wolfman said:
yep right about this one...
when i brought my van it had the filter in between the carb and the pump!! so i changed the lines and when i went to pull the hose off it came with the insert :eek: ....ha.. lucky i found that one... :D
Almost every VW I've ever come across has had a brass carb inlet tube that can be wiggled about; they are all susceptible to coming loose, so if you haven't already checked, do it ASAP!

·
Registered
435 Posts
Here's a simple solution.

Peter said:
There is risk that when mounting the filter between the pump and carb, that the weight of the filter may 'bounce' up and down and work loose the brass connecting pipe at the carb. When this comes loose, fuel is pumped all over the engine.
You assume eveyone runs a stock carb. This is how I have my filters mounted.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Mr.010 said:
....You assume eveyone runs a stock carb....
Actually, I try not to assume anything. In this case I believe there is sufficient risk to make the only responsible advice: 'never place the fuel filter inside the engine compartment' (especially one with a magnesium case).

On a more practical note, I think it would be better to keep as much of the fuel system as clean as possible. To this end it would make more sense to place the filter as close to the fuel tank as possible, where most of the dirt enters the system.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts