Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Banned
597 Posts
The weirdest plave I found a bought a VW from. Old lady on Hayling Island. Had the VW in her field .. had been sitting there for 9 years. Amazingly, almost everything works!

The oddest place I found one.
I found one, once, at the bottom of a ditch, had been stolen, and been burnt out. The saddest one was..... it had a ton of Mercedes piled on top of it in a scrap yard. It looked to be a 62 Splitscreen Camper. Came back a week later with the money to buy it, and he'd crushed it!!

·
walking the black dog
65,317 Posts
Found a '54 beetle in a forest in Springfield, St James in Jamaica (this was about 1988), it had been totally trashed and the floorpan had disintegrated. I still have the number plate somewhere around

Early fastback at the bottom of a ravine in Aberdaron Gwynedd North Wales. Again battered beyong saving, bizarrely the rear screen suvived a 70 foot fall/push. Also a Ford Prefect in the same ravine and that had been there since the 1970's.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hendrixmaster said:
The weirdest plave I found a bought a VW from. Old lady on Hayling Island. Had the VW in her field .. had been sitting there for 9 years. Amazingly, almost everything works!

The oddest place I found one.
I found one, once, at the bottom of a ditch, had been stolen, and been burnt out. The saddest one was..... it had a ton of Mercedes piled on top of it in a scrap yard. It looked to be a 62 Splitscreen Camper. Came back a week later with the money to buy it, and he'd crushed it!!
what a waste , ivgot a splitty

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
cheer,s havent really found vw in weird place,but i bought a 62 beetle that was a trade in 23 yrs ago and a mate of mine who drives a tow truck for a liveing got a call to remove it ,so brought it up to me, change of oil charged battrie bit of petrol ,and she started. sold now.

·
Banned
3,141 Posts
i saw a blue 03' with flaired wings and slotmags rotting down the side of someones house on the bus home.
ive passed that house for years, and never noticed it, so i knocked on his door and he was out ,so knocked next door and the woman who answered the door said its been there about 20-odd years!
just think its weird that i've never noticed it before...

·
Banned
1,418 Posts
under a customers patio.....seriously :eek:
Not a whole beetle but most of one, engine, gearbox, axles, everything but the main shell really and the people that owned the house reckoned that was in the garden somewhere.
The owners before them had Used the dub (along with other stuff) as landfill to level the garden aparrantly as the house was on a steep hillside.
Wonder what condition it was in before they buried it ?

·
Registered
3,400 Posts
There's a remote beach in Donegal that has a Beetle buried vertically (or near it) just at the edge of the beach. I reckon it was pushed off the edge by a digger at some stage and buried over time. I havn't seen it in about 3yrs but I bet there isn't much left.

·
Registered
30,762 Posts
Wasn't there a load of splittys found buried behind a dealership in Sligo or somewhere up that direction a couple of years ago?
A massive NOS parts stash too :tick:

Oh, and welcome to Vzi Hoohy ;)

Justin.

·
Registered
45,793 Posts
on the back side of maui, past Hana, theroad goes through where the last eruption occured, obviously there is nothing there, but just before, one of the last houses has this bug parked :)

·
Registered
12,478 Posts
weirdest has to be in a shed on a farm in ireland a few years back; and as far as i know its still there...was mostly complete, but had a fair bit of rust, but still very salvageable.....might go back and see if its still there and rescue is... i think it was a 1303 or 1302....

but the strangest accessory i found was on my 61 bug.... it was the reserve tap still attached to the fuel tank, but was too rusted to be used...

·
He doesn't fr*ggin' listen!
9,859 Posts
I was driving up a road called Campers Avenue where I live. I'd never been up that road before, and saw a UK RHD '62 split bus by the side of the road.

After knocking on loads of doors, I found the owner who eventually sold it to me after loads of harrassment for the princely sum of £150. Being the bargain hunter I am, I even knocked him down from £180!

It was taxed, MOT'd and rock solid.. and still is!

It has the full OG Devon interior too! ;)

·
Registered
18,522 Posts
JustinOval said:
Wasn't there a load of splittys found buried behind a dealership in Sligo or somewhere up that direction a couple of years ago?
A massive NOS parts stash too :tick:
Yeah me, Caddy and Kazoobusker have stood on that very spot ;) :( :( ...............old boy saw no value in them, even the ones with 'all the little windows'...........so dug a large hole and pushed 'em all in :eek: :eek:

Oh and we brought most of the NOS back to blighty :crazy: :crazy: :D

·
Registered
18,522 Posts
Found a '62 crewcab on a beach in Tenerife many many moons ago. Wanted to get the safari's out the front so borrowed some tools from the pool attendant at the hotel we was staying in, and went back a coupla days later.......................only to find it had been shoved into the beach, again as land fill :( :(

I have a pic somewhere, i'll see if i can dig it out

1 - 20 of 30 Posts