Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my 73 bay window resto nearly finished but need some advice off you wise wise people.

Need an awning big enough to sleep 4 - 6 people that will be used year round but can anyone recommmend any particular make/model. Seen the just campers berlin but not sure how good it is - anyone got any better alternatives/suggestions.

Budget not too much of an issue as happy to pay extra for decent quality.

thanks in advance :D

·
Seasoned Chat Slut
2,152 Posts
We have a Reimo awning which is nice and large. However it only has an inner tent that sleeps 2. A friend had the JK Berlin and it was huge. It also had 2 end compartments that could sleep 3 in each. Both can be awkward to put up if alone.

here is a shot of ours with the Reimo on

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Jules - one question for you though - as your awning runs at 90 degrees away as opposed to JK's running parallel with the camper do you have any problems with size/width of the pitch as I see from the photo you're overlapping the shingle area.? ps got any more info on your gorgeous trailer/caravan?

·
Registered
272 Posts
0utsource said:
my 73 bay window resto nearly finished but need some advice off you wise wise people.

Need an awning big enough to sleep 4 - 6 people that will be used year round but can anyone recommmend any particular make/model. Seen the just campers berlin but not sure how good it is - anyone got any better alternatives/suggestions.

I've got the new JK 2006 Berlin - It's f*cking huge!!! Must admit when we used it it was extremely windy and a complete nightmare to put up (took us a couple of hours!!!). Once it was up it was great.

·
Seasoned Chat Slut
2,152 Posts
The awning comes out some 4-5 metres (taking into account the material that connects to the gutter of the van). We also have the additional sun awning that fits on the end which takes it out to 6 metres. The Berlin awning would have also passed over the pitch in the photo as they really are big. The saving grace on the site this picture was taken at, is that they did not allow plastic ground sheets (unless they were the 'breathable' type). I believe the Berlin awning has a sewn in ground sheet so it may be a problem on some sites. The grass still yellowed though :rolleyes:

The tear drop is from a guy down South going by the name of 'Slip stream'. He sells them as kits or fully built. We got it as a kit and built it over the winter some 3 years ago. To be fair though if I was to take into account all the extras like boat windows, locks, internal electrics/zig I could have bought a decent small caravan. If I had the cash again I think I would buy a Puk. The added space for putting all the stuff for the kids (and putting the mother-in-law outside the van) is excellent.

I do not have any other photos really except this side shot (The Vauxhall Carlton alloys are no longer on the bus by the way as I changed to a more acceptable style).

and here is one courtesy of North Wales Police when I was caught speeding...... In a camper whilst towing yeeeeeha ;)

·
Porsche Buffer
11,692 Posts
Jules65 said:
We have a Reimo awning which is nice and large. However it only has an inner tent that sleeps 2. A friend had the JK Berlin and it was huge. It also had 2 end compartments that could sleep 3 in each. Both can be awkward to put up if alone.

here is a shot of ours with the Reimo on

I've got one of those. Great but do take a while to put up - what are the ones that literally 'pop up' - anyone know?

·
Seasoned Chat Slut
2,152 Posts
If you need to sleep 4-6 people I think you are really limited to the JK Berlin as it is the only one I can think of that will sleep so many...... Or get a Super Viking and all sleep in the van ;)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
and here is one courtesy of North Wales Police when I was caught speeding...... In a camper whilst towing yeeeeeha ;)

[/QUOTE]

downhill with the wind behind huh? :moon:

·
Seasoned Chat Slut
2,152 Posts
0utsource said:
downhill with the wind behind huh? :moon:
Had just come down a massive hill (ended up in 1st gear getting up it) and began to get brake fade. (talk about roller coaster). My mate who we were following to 'Shell Island' had gone out of view so I put my foot down a bit. Did'nt see the static camera as there were some scantily clad ladies to my right walking along with kids (I was a hot weekend and we had just left 'All Types).

·
Registered
34,510 Posts
Khyam pop up awnings are awesome-i put ours up in 5 minutes the first time i tried...brilliant quality.

Little bit more dough but well worth it!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Jules65 said:
Did'nt see the static camera as there were some scantily clad ladies to my right walking along with kids (I was a hot weekend and we had just left 'All Types).
Damn the tactics these camera vans use - shame the speeding photo didn't get a shot of the girls too! lol

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
We've got a Kyam 2002 model apparently they're like rocking horse sh1t to gat hold off but worth every penny. Don't come with inner tents but you can buy them and fix 'em up.We've had 10 peeps in ours includung camp kitchen (whoever he is!) and 1 wheel chair. goes up in minutes and withstands gale force winds, but not 9 month old Collie dogs that want to get out!!!!!!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thebetterhalf said:
We've got a Kyam 2002 model apparently they're like rocking horse sh1t to gat hold off but worth every penny. Don't come with inner tents but you can buy them and fix 'em up.We've had 10 peeps in ours includung camp kitchen (whoever he is!) and 1 wheel chair. goes up in minutes and withstands gale force winds, but not 9 month old Collie dogs that want to get out!!!!!!
sounds perfect - i presume 2002 is the year but any idea what the model is called? Just been looking at the khyam website could be just what I'm after

·
Registered
298 Posts
0utsource said:

Forgive my blatant piece of promotion here!
The Navigator awning has a sleeping compartment that attaches to the front end for 2 people. We also supply "The Hut" which is a fully waterproof tent that can also be used as a temporary inner or an outside storage tent. It is easily big enough for 2 more people and can be brought into the Navigator at beddy byes time and put outside during the day. Follow the link below or the ad on the sidebar.
As for the Kyham, I expect to have those in stock in the early part of next year if you are interested.
Cheers
Mark

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
markatfishbrain said:
Forgive my blatant piece of promotion here!
The Navigator awning has a sleeping compartment that attaches to the front end for 2 people. We also supply "The Hut" which is a fully waterproof tent that can also be used as a temporary inner or an outside storage tent. It is easily big enough for 2 more people and can be brought into the Navigator at beddy byes time and put outside during the day. Follow the link below or the ad on the sidebar.
As for the Kyham, I expect to have those in stock in the early part of next year if you are interested.
Cheers
Mark
Thanks Mark - took a good look at the Navigator but ruled out as not big enough. take on board what u say about bringing in the "hut" at night but can see that being a pain after a while.

Ideally could do with the kyham's quick erect system, combined with the felxiblility of their pod system

·
Banned
2,534 Posts
like the wife said (the betterhalf) the 2002 is the year after that they went smaller ,its huge and expect to pay for a used one £300 the new ones havnt got the bedroom this is us at bvf a few years ago

this is the new one
http://www.outdoormegastore.co.uk/acatalog/Khyam_Ridgi_Dome_On_the_Move_Tents_.html
it really does take under 2 mins to put up then 30 mins to peg out ;)
there is no other awning as good ,big claime i know but every one that has them says the same ;) hope that helps

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
mr.stumpy said:
like the wife said (the betterhalf) the 2002 is the year after that they went smaller ,its huge and expect to pay for a used one £300 the new ones havnt got the bedroom this is us at bvf a few years ago
That's exactly what I'm looking for - thanks to you and yours for the info.

Now anyone got one of the above for sale????

1 - 20 of 24 Posts