Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently running a 1600 engine in my 67 bug, which has developed a bit of end float. I'm thinking of getting another motor to chuck in it to keep it going while I attempt to rebuild the existing one.

What I'm unsure of is which engines will fit? I'm not particularly bothered about size, I'd be happy enough to wazz in a 1200 or 1300, but is there a basic guide as to what will and won't work with my gearbox and clutch?

Ta very much :hangloose

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
I think im right in saying that a 67 is 12volt?

So any engine with a 12 volt flywheel will fit.

Basically any engine from 1967 onwards

·
Registered
21,200 Posts
If the car had 12 volt electrics from the factory, any 1200, 1300, 1500 or 1600 engine from a 12 volt car will fit.

If it wasn't, swap the flywheel from your old engine onto the new one.

Cars that originally had 6 volt electrics had less teeth on the flywheel and thus later flywheels won't fit the gearbox bellhousing/starter.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ello mate, I did reply to you. Someone else didn't receive a pm I sent either ... weird.

The bug isn't for sale any more, sorry dude. I've decided to keep it for the time being.

·
Registered
17 Posts
oddnumber said:
I'm currently running a 1600 engine in my 67 bug, which has developed a bit of end float. I'm thinking of getting another motor to chuck in it to keep it going while I attempt to rebuild the existing one.

What I'm unsure of is which engines will fit? I'm not particularly bothered about size, I'd be happy enough to wazz in a 1200 or 1300, but is there a basic guide as to what will and won't work with my gearbox and clutch?

Ta very much :hangloose
Im pretty sure 67 beetles had a weird one year only starter that had the same amount of teeth as the later 12 volt ones but was only 6 volt (12 volt was an option on 1500's) so any later engine should fit

1 - 10 of 10 Posts