Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a small experiment we (my wife & i) need to conduct as we are seeking a new vice :D

We do drink socially but not regularly, we don't need it and would not miss it, both gave up smoking 3 months ago, after 15 yrs, wife's fine but i have my moments.
Feel that something is missing :rolleyes:

Do you think we all need a vice/bad habit ? :confused:

Please only reply to this thread if you do not drink alcohol or smoke cigs or other ? or have something constructive to say :hug:

many thanks :)



I bet it will be off the first page within the hour :crazy:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,713 Posts
I drink - only when I have beers in.. I smoke.. but I've given up twice.

Unfortunately I find they go hand in hand as I've always started again whilst I am drinking/socialising.

You probably did the best thing giving up beer and **** at the same time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,040 Posts
errm i drink and stuff, but yeah i think a vice is a good thing, if its not too hardcore/dont take over your life!

I admire the fact u've given them all up thou!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,781 Posts
I don't smoke or drink. Alcohol, at least :lol:.

I used to smoke cigars quite often and I was partial to a few pints of Guinness a couple of times a week with mates, but just got bored with both really. I stopped both the smoking and the drinking, and didn't really feel any worse for it. If anything it was better, because I could drive to the pub and back, and my friends who don't like smoke weren't annoyed with me.

I don't see myself starting either again any time soon. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
301 Posts
I don't smoke or drink, although I gave in last summer for a couple of months... I do find a lot of other people who don't drink can be quite high and mighty about it...

Bit of a pain in the arse when you want to unwind after a hard day, although if i'm in a foul mood i tend to watch cool runnings to sort me out.
 

·
I'm not an addict... honest!
Joined
·
4,529 Posts
I don't smoke, never have, never will. I did begin to drink a lot when I first went to uni. After my first year I decided to stop drinking to see whether I missed it. I went for nearly 2 years without touching anything. I just trained lots and spent all my time climbing, biking and running. I didn't miss it but after that time I started to wonder why I was banning myself from drinking when I had proved to myself that I didn't need to get wasted everytime I went out. Now I do drink, in moderation but drink because I enjoy the taste, not to get wasted.

I know plenty of people that have to drink if they go out and if they can't they won't enjoy themselves. Im happy either way.

Adrian
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,765 Posts
never smoked (anything) and haven't touched alchohol for 32 years !( gave up when i was 15 :rolleyes: )
i don't really have a vice (vws i suppose) don't think its really needed . i still go out at weekends , and i always buy my round , just my drinks a britvic and my mates is a bud ! , not much difference in price to be honest ! ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Odin said:
I don't smoke or drink. Alcohol, at least :lol:.

I used to smoke cigars quite often and I was partial to a few pints of Guinness a couple of times a week with mates, but just got bored with both really. I stopped both the smoking and the drinking, and didn't really feel any worse for it. If anything it was better, because I could drive to the pub and back, and my friends who don't like smoke weren't annoyed with me.

I don't see myself starting either again any time soon. :)
Do you not feel like you are missing something tho......... not every minute of everyday but just every so often......

more times than not it will be on a normal day not a pub in site and you think to yourself, somethings missing and the only thing that crosses your mind is a so called vice !!!!!!!!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,129 Posts
I don't really drink and I don't smoke. However I have taken up eating blueberry muffins at every opportunity. Also eating the canapes at work when the chefs aren't looking and when they aren't being taken around the building to all the snooty people... well - they are tiny and no one is going to miss them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,761 Posts
Gave up smoking 12 years ago, got bored with drinking (used to drink like a fish) mainly drink cups of tea these days. Will drink if I've got some beer in, but rarely.

Spend all my spare money (what little there is) on my other 'vice'.... bits for the bugs....... But then I am old, so it may just be my hormones :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ginji_amano said:
I don't really drink and I don't smoke. However I have taken up eating blueberry muffins at every opportunity. Also eating the canapes at work when the chefs aren't looking and when they aren't being taken around the building to all the snooty people... well - they are tiny and no one is going to miss them.
must admit........ i knew it would not take too long for someone to mention food...........and of the sugared variety :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,390 Posts
well i think i drink too much, i'm not sure, i mean, i know its cheap here (Ä4.20 for a litre of supermarket vodka, Ä3.85 for gin) .. but i am getting thru 3 or 4 bottles a week, plus beer. my waist line is certainly noticing it alot, i was a size 32 waist at 17, i'm a 38 now at 25. is that normal? (the size, not the drinking) ...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,781 Posts
theanimalbus said:
Do you not feel like you are missing something tho......... not every minute of everyday but just every so often......

more times than not it will be on a normal day not a pub in site and you think to yourself, somethings missing and the only thing that crosses your mind is a so called vice !!!!!!!!!!
To begin with I did think to myself a couple of times 'I could do with a big fat cigar right about now', and from time to time I wonder why I'm not drinking. But then I've come this far without needing both and besides, I think I enjoy things more when I'm sober. :)

I don't find myself thinking about it as something missing in my life though, really.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18,795 Posts
i've been dry for 20 years, with a couple of exceptions :mad: :(
my pops put me in an alcoholics program when i was 17, it scared the crap out of me, was a good thing, although i do cop shit from people from time to time :rolleyes:
my ex was the worst of recent years
going out is the wierdest, being amongst people who drink or are drunk, it's not the bestest of of fun
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,392 Posts
I dont drink or smoke and have never been more the tiddly in my life,

I just dont feel the need i have a laugh without it and i drive everyone else home safe,

all my friends know i dont drink and it doesnt bother them at all, i do find i get the odd funny look when i say i dont drink, you get the "what never" followed by (in there head) bet she has a problem!!! :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,326 Posts
TrolleyWheels said:
I smoke.. but I've given up twice.
That reminds me of a quote: It's easy to give up smoking - I've done it lots of times!

Saw the thread title and was curious to see if anyone could go without water!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20,445 Posts
bfg69bug said:
size 32 waist at 17, i'm a 38 now at 25. is that normal? (the size, not the drinking) ...
That is a bit too much growth - lay off the booze.
I don't smoke and drink about 1 bottle of alcohol per two weeks.

Can't understand smoking at all, drinking I can, but to excess - come on - find some other method expression.
I think these things relect how well satisfied with life you are. i think people drink, and to excess, because there is nothing of interest in their lives.

Anybody dispute that?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,765 Posts
clarewizard1 said:
I dont drink or smoke and have never been more the tiddly in my life,

I just dont feel the need i have a laugh without it and i drive everyone else home safe,

all my friends know i dont drink and it doesnt bother them at all, i do find i get the odd funny look when i say i dont drink, you get the "what never" followed by (in there head) bet she has a problem!!! :D
you think you get funny looks , try being a scot who doesn't drink , :rolleyes: , had one mate who kept trying to get me to take one , when i kept refusing he called me a wimp !!!!!!!!! so i picked him up by one hand and banged his head off the pub ceiling ,,,, never called me wimp again ;)
 

·
Prom Queen
Joined
·
8,015 Posts
I don't drink or smoke...have never really drunk....did some silly things when I was 15 and since then hardly touched a drop...had a glass of lemonade and wine last night, but that was the first in a very long time. As for smoking...smoked for about 2 months when I was 15 and never since then.

I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything....to be honest, I prefer it 'coz i get to laugh at all the drunk people. And now living it wales it's a good thing I don't smoke 'coz the smokin ban is in force..so it means I get to stay in the warmth when everyone else wants a ***.

:D
 
1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Top