Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
I'm not an addict... honest!
4,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Myseld and me other half are both qualified design teachers and are contemplating moving to Oz for a few years.

I know about having to be registered as a teacher with the region you want work in and I am guessing the only way of moving out would be to get a migration visa first and then find work while out there.

What I am wondering is:

Who has applied for a migration visa before and how long did it take and cost?

If we moved out there as skilled teachers would it matter whether we worked as teachers out there or took other jobs?

Adrian.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I myself am in Brisbane at the moment,i have been thinking about moving over here also.The good weather and the generally better lifestyle is the main reason,crime rate is low compared to the uk.and you dont have to put up with pond scum chavs on every street corner.

If you are a teacher i shouldnt think you will have too much problem getting a skilled indepent visa, but this may take 9 months or more.If you were sponsored i believe it can be sorted within 2 months.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I moved out in 2000. Getting our permananet residency visa took 2 years, but it didn't matter for us as we a temp working visa to be going on with. I would recommend getting a job through an agency before coming out here as Australians seem to have a problem with giving people their first job in the country. No problem after the first job though. I took 18 months to get my first job and haven't been out of work for more than a fortnight since then. If you come out on a work visa, you must work at that job. If you come out on a residency visa you can do whatever you like. Choose your destination carefully though as all the states are so different, I absolutely hate Perth but Think Melbourne is great. If there is anything else I can tell you, just ask.

Chris

·
Registered
633 Posts
We are in full swing at the moment with the 136 permanant residence visa application. ;)

we are using a agent call Ian Harrop & Associates,Burford on the A40 between Oxford and Gloucester,I was told he is the best in the business and if he had a dout he could not get you a visa he would not take you on his books.

he has given us a estimate of approx £3300 all in :)

This includes all fees for Trade assesment,visa applications,police checks ,medicals for all family members(4) photo copies and solicitor costs etc.

his fee is only about £1200 wich is included.and trust me the amount of paper work involved its worth every penny for his guidence.

the trade assesments are currently coming back in about 3 weeks and visa applications 3-6 months

we should have ours by christmas this year.already sold our house
(wanted to sell early so not tied here once visa aprroved)

going out a a Bricklayer as this is my main trade but once visa approved there is nothing to stop me doing somthing different once out there.but must concentrate on my trade for the visa.

then feb/march next year it will be goodbye UK :moon:

and hello
PERTH Western Australia

We cant say as a family we will be there for the rest of our lives as knowbody can say what round the corner,but we are going out with the view that we are giving it a minimum of 3 years.

research says that the first year your in holiday mode and think its great,second year reality sets in and start to miss family and freinds back in the uk but if we can hang in there and give our selfs chance to make the new circle of freinds and get the kids settled (they only 3 & 7) then every thing should be cool.

worst case after 3 years we can come back to the UK ,with one added bonus wich is we will all have Oz passorts and become Oz citizens, this gives the kids a bigger choice in the future,they could then make there own minds up when older to live and work in the UK or Australia.

But to be honest i don't think we'll be back, only for holidays. ;)

anyone want Ian Harrops contact details 08453 700344

·
Registered
633 Posts
VWCOOL said:
tha land of cheap everything! Welcome, you will like it I reckon!!
I THINK YOUR RIGHT MY FRIEND.........I THINK YOUR RIGHT....

what part do you live the dude???

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
I travelled to Australia in 2001 for a years travelling working. I went out on my own as I was sick of Ireland and just wanted a change. It was the best thing I ever did. I met my wife out there (she was also travelling over there on her own for many of the same reasons) and had the time of my life the biggest mistake we made was returning to the UK.

My wife is a journalist and I am an IT manager but neither of us qualify for a visa. I don't have any qualifications as I started fixing computers out of school and 10 years later I still am (although I tell other people to fix them these days). My wife is over 30 so she loses points that way and Journalists are not really in demand in Australia.

So we have been stuck here for 5 years now frustrated and annoyed that two people who would have no trouble getting work and really want to move there can't get into Australia. It's has been very hard and we lost interest many many times but every few months we look for a way in.

If you do go for it I hope you succeed as it's a wonderful country (although it does have a lot of problems) but choose the area you move to carefully as Australia is a very diverse country and the states are all completely different.

Now my son has been born I really would love to move over there and bring him up in Australia but unless something drastic happens (like winning the Lottery) we are not going to get into Australia any time soon.

·
Registered
633 Posts
funstuie said:
I travelled to Australia in 2001 for a years travelling working. I went out on my own as I was sick of Ireland and just wanted a change. It was the best thing I ever did. I met my wife out there (she was also travelling over there on her own for many of the same reasons) and had the time of my life the biggest mistake we made was returning to the UK.

My wife is a journalist and I am an IT manager but neither of us qualify for a visa. I don't have any qualifications as I started fixing computers out of school and 10 years later I still am (although I tell other people to fix them these days). My wife is over 30 so she loses points that way and Journalists are not really in demand in Australia.

So we have been stuck here for 5 years now frustrated and annoyed that two people who would have no trouble getting work and really want to move there can't get into Australia. It's has been very hard and we lost interest many many times but every few months we look for a way in.

If you do go for it I hope you succeed as it's a wonderful country (although it does have a lot of problems) but choose the area you move to carefully as Australia is a very diverse country and the states are all completely different.

Now my son has been born I really would love to move over there and bring him up in Australia but unless something drastic happens (like winning the Lottery) we are not going to get into Australia any time soon.
ring Ian Harrop. there is lots of different types of visa.im sure you'll qualify on one or the other.

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
sixtyone said:
ring Ian Harrop. there is lots of different types of visa.im sure you'll qualify on or the other.
Just had a look at their website. I might give them a shout and have a chat with them.

To be honest it has been quite depressing to have our dream shattered at every turn. But I will endeavour.

We were going to go last year. My wife applied to do a masters at Sydney Uni and was accepted. This would have gotten us a two year Visa and as her partner I would have had an unrestricted visa. The plan was for me to get a job, sort sponsorship and we would have been OK for four years. But my wife got pregnant so that put the brakes on that one.

·
Registered
10,701 Posts
Been 3 times in the last 10 years, each time I keep asking myself the question "have I got the bottle?"

The answer is probably no as I have so many ties over here. I visit a lot as a lot of my school friends have made the swim and set up home over there...none have even thought about coming home!

Have even fonder memories since my last trip...when Tanja agreed to marry me after I popped the question on the steps of The Opera House! :D

·
Registered
589 Posts
sixtyone said:
I THINK YOUR RIGHT MY FRIEND.........I THINK YOUR RIGHT....

what part do you live the dude???
I'm on the other side: Sydney. It's only 6 hours flying time from Perth!! But Perth is choice (smaller and less hectic than Sydney), have been there a couple of times and have a couple of mates there

five bedroom house with yard and double garage for the $ of teh two-bedder London flat I'm sitting in right now...

AND you will never regard the words 'nice condition', 'solid project' and 'very little rust' ever again...

Check out www.aussieveedubbers.com when you get there

·
Banned
5,066 Posts
We are off in a few years to Perth Oz..

Already got a house out there rented out.

Love Perth and we are getting married out there next year.

I have short cut the paper work.. my wife to be is an Ozy.. :D

and i am also a trades man.......

do it you can always come back.. but to be sure it's such a stunning place esp for young Family's you just can't go wrong..

When your there look out for me.. I will be in my 1954 Porsche 356 the oldest Porsche in WA...

·
4,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
peelo said:
Out of interest, what was it about Australia you liked so much it made you want to go and live there?

Sorry to hijack.

:)
No worries Peelo, just fancied a change really. Im not expecting it to be the answer to everything or be a "grass is greener" type of thing. I personally would just love to experience another country for a while. I lived in California for a short while and that was awesome although it was nigh on impossible for me to obtain a full working visa for the USA.

Ive yet to convince my other half as she is far more family orientated than me and I know at the moment she wouldn't make the move. Certainly not before we are married anyway.

Adrian

·
Registered
78,004 Posts
elajf1 said:
No worries Peelo, just fancied a change really. Im not expecting it to be the answer to everything or be a "grass is greener" type of thing. I personally would just love to experience another country for a while. I lived in California for a short while and that was awesome although it was nigh on impossible for me to obtain a full working visa for the USA.

Ive yet to convince my other half as she is far more family orientated than me and I know at the moment she wouldn't make the move. Certainly not before we are married anyway.

Adrian
We quite fancy doing it for a few years, not sure where in the World. But would keep all UK ties and property etc. Put the kids in school there.

U.S used to appeal but not know. Still great place for holidays, but that's enough.

·
Registered
633 Posts
funstuie said:
But my wife got pregnant so that put the brakes on that one.
ahaa you see ...we got two boys Josh 7 and Kane 3

But Enough is Enough i went for the BIG SNIP last week.....

slim chance of getting any more. looking forward now to a new life with my boys and wife Debs :hug:

funny tho it seemed to be for ever getting the ball rolling now its happening real fast.....AND WE CAN'T WAIT. :)

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
I gave that Ian Harrop lot a call and spoke to a very nice woman. She seemed to think there would be an option for us but she didn't take much info from me and said Mr Harrop would give me a call back. He didn't. Hopefully he will call tomorrow. I would be more than willing to pay £3/4K if it got us over there.

·
4,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
peelo said:
We quite fancy doing it for a few years, not sure where in the World. But would keep all UK ties and property etc. Put the kids in school there.

U.S used to appeal but not know. Still great place for holidays, but that's enough.
yeah I had and still have a lot of good friends in North California and Nevada. Its an awesome part of the world, the climbing, mountain biking and surfing around there was what I loved most.

I spent many days climbing around tahoe and donner summit, without doubt the best granite ive ever climbed on.

I have a friend who moved out to Brisbane with his australian wife after living in Sheffield for many years. They love it out there, he cycles a good 20 miles to work everyday in the city on fast clean dedicated cycle routes and spends many weekends on the gold coast surfing with friends.

Now I have to say that appeals a lot over my 70 mile round trip commute on the M1 each day with the possibility of a few weekends surf a year when I can get time to drive down to devon or upto scarborough from nottingham.

Like you, I don't think we could do it as a permenant thing but for a few years definately. We'd have to sell up over here though as we couldn't afford to keep the place going unless we sold ours and brought a place to rent out, just to stay in the market. I think I'd have to find someone to look after my bay, I'd never sell that!

Adrian

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.