Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Punk, I was born ready
1,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm so damn fed up with windows, the cost, the viruses, the constant need for updating their flaws, the crap thats building up etc etc
But..............
I've got a few questions I'd like to ask before I take the plunge into the Linux world.
Anyone willing to help a noob out? :D

Benny
:stupid:

·
Registered
12,492 Posts
decided to join the madness.... he he he linux suse 9 pro... and ubuntu

·
Registered
46,359 Posts
I'm so damn fed up with windows, the cost, the viruses, the constant need for updating their flaws, the crap thats building up etc etc
But..............
I've got a few questions I'd like to ask before I take the plunge into the Linux world.
Anyone willing to help a noob out? :D

Benny
:stupid:
See thats the windows way, beat around the bush, just ask!

·
Registered
898 Posts
That is quite frankly, stunningly nerdy!
And just what I need!

Woodybeefcake (love the name! :lol:) Mac = £££
Linux = Free open source software!

Do you see where I'm going with this? :lol:
haha thanks! also, i do see where your going, and anythimg to get you off shitty windows has to be a bonus! i promise, you will never look back!;)

·
Punk, I was born ready
1,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the replies guys. I'm currently bombarding the Linux Social Group with questions before I take the plunge :D

·
Registered
46,359 Posts
You could always download Knoppix live and try it without loading anything on to your computer. That what I encourage people to do, and they are amazed how fast it is running in RAM!!!

·
Punk, I was born ready
1,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, this is all a whole new world for me!
I posted some questions up on the Linux social group, which have been answered fantastically, a bit. I'm going to pop them up here as well for a well rounded view!

1.Do I need to be able to edit code etc?

2.I use my iPod loads, I'm assuming that iTunes won't work on linux, are there any decent programs that will do the same job with iPod compatibility, and will allow me to put my current .mp3's and m4a's into it?

3.Things like Java, flash and the like which websites use to run stuff, games etc, does all this still work on Linux?

4.What do you guys mean by 'I'm running Ubuntu 8.10 64 Bit with GNOME 2.24.1'?!
I get that Ubuntu is a particular distro of Linux, and the 64 Bit is something to do with processing, but what do you mean by GNOME?

5.I have a dual screen set up with my computer at the moment which is set up using the nVidia display drivers that came with the video card. Will nVidia have any problems with Linux or will I still be able to have the same set up?

6.Is there a Linux version of MSN messenger?

7.What is dual booting between Windows and Linux? (p.s. I'm not a complete noob, i'm good with computers, unfortunately just bloody windows )

8.Will my wireless card in my PCI slot still be good to go? I use a program to configure/moniter it that came with it as apposed to the Windows Zero thingy, (which is bloody awful)

I think thats about it!
If you could answer any questions at all, that would be really great!

9.Oh and I have an old version of Unreal Tournament loaded on a virtual drive, I'm assuming thats not going to work on Linux, and can you emulate virtual drives at all on Linux, like with Daemon Tools or something similar?

·
Registered
12,492 Posts
6 = amsn... exactly the same but actually a bit better...it has tabs...

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
1. No not really.
2.Any of the media players should be fine - Amarok seems good.
3. Flash, java etc. are all available. DirectX isn't. nor silverlight. Java 64bit plugin doesn't exist.
4. GNOME is the interface - you get the choice KDE (very windows like), GNOME, or XFE (amongst others)... The joy of Linux is choice! My preference is GNOME.
5. I've got nVidia and it works fine... Although there are reports of old cards being a bit flakey. Dual monitor shouldn't cause a problem (there's a youtube vid of someone with something stupid like 10 monitors running linux)
6. aMSN, pidgin, emesene, etc. All do msn in various different ways.
7.dual boot gives you a menu on computer start up, asking which OS you want to boot into - Linux or Windows.
8. Wireless is a dodgy ground with Linux... Some work, some don't. I haven't had any probs mind...
9. WINE is a windows emulator, or you can install VMWare to run windows. Or just dual boot, for when you want to play games (probably the best way).

·
Registered
17,091 Posts
8.Will my wireless card in my PCI slot still be good to go? I use a program to configure/moniter it that came with it as apposed to the Windows Zero thingy, (which is bloody awful)

yes it will. if there is no driver for linux then you can use http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NdisWrapper to run windows drivers
There's also fwcutter which works pretty well if your card has a Broadcom chipset. :)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts