Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
if you press the wing down, it does not come back up.

if you lift the wing up, it does not go back down.

as i said, no bounce.

is it the shocks, the beam, or is this normal?

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
as far as i am aware, it is a stock beam. the rest of the car is original....

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
just had a look. seems nothing has been tinkered with for quite a few years. it all has the look of general run it till it drops grime.

do the beams get stiff?

is it on a torsion bar? i am more familiar with morris minors.... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,417 Posts
sounds like your shocks are knackered to me.

·
Tech Guru/Mr VZi '06
41,834 Posts
We can't really tell why it's stiff, you'll have to disconnect the shockabsorbers and see if that makes any difference. Grease the axle as well if it hasn't been done for a while. Grease should be coming out of the ends of the beam if it has enough in there. Failing that I would guess perhaps someone has replaced the torsion arm bearings with plastic crap ones and they're too tight. You can only tell that by dismantling the suspension, an easy job.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok. ill, try that.

do they do nylon bushes for this job, are they better?

if it is shocks, what are worth having, for a standard ride?

im thinking of anti roll barring it soon, if that makes any diff.

·
Premium Member
8,813 Posts
oberonspacefruit said:
They do polyurethane, (easily recognised, as they are bright red), they are cheaper than the stock set-up of outer needle roller bearings, inner bushes, and outer grease seals, but they are a crap fit, they have no provision for lubrication, so thet seize-up, and squeek, then wear out and cause excessive play in the suspension.
Depends what you mean by "better" :D

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
lol.

i have done a lot of mini's and minors.... poly bushes are far superior on these.

so its original rubber for dubs?

·
Tech Guru/Mr VZi '06
41,834 Posts
oberonspacefruit said:

if it is shocks, what are worth having, for a standard ride?

'Plastic', 'polyurethane' and 'nylon' all mean the same thing in this instance, and as Laurence says, they're crap.
Boge or Cofap stock shox are fine, available from all the usual suppliers.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
cool.

i will study the manual. seems i still have a bit to learn about bug suspension.

its all fun though.

thanks for the info chaps!

·
Registered
333 Posts
I've just put some polyurethane bushes on the swing axle of my bug replacing the knackered rubber ones.

I have been told and thought these were better than replacing with rubber. They are self lubricating by the microscopic release of polymers that are impregnated in them and resistant to oil grease etc.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i need to swat up before i confirm or deny the helpfulness of any further posts...lol

·
Registered
20,445 Posts
zac said:
I've just put some polyurethane bushes on the swing axle of my bug replacing the knackered rubber ones.

I have been told and thought these were better than replacing with rubber. They are self lubricating by the microscopic release of polymers that are impregnated in them and resistant to oil grease etc.
Replacing rubber with poyureathane is just about acceptable - but really rather daft as the original manufacturers spent ages getting, bound, rebound, jounce, coeficient of restitution etc correct. Poly.. is made cheaply on a one size fits all kinda deal.

Relaplacing needle bearings with poly... is just criminal, it does not work - and I think that is what you might have done.

·
Registered
333 Posts
metric_thumbs said:
Replacing rubber with poyureathane is just about acceptable - but really rather daft as the original manufacturers spent ages getting, bound, rebound, jounce, coeficient of restitution etc correct. Poly.. is made cheaply on a one size fits all kinda deal.

Relaplacing needle bearings with poly... is just criminal, it does not work - and I think that is what you might have done.
One size fits all? Superflex Polyurethane Bushes must be pulling my plonk then. They quote 'The four manufactured formulations of firmness (70, 80, 90, & 95 Shore-A) enable us to match the needs of each individual application'.

The rear suspension bushes retail at around £30 a set. Is this any different from the ones you buy at VW parts suppliers. May be they are the inferior injection moulding types.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
but understandable, if they were previously fitted with rubber......easy mistake to make. i know i would have.

do roller bearing go straight in, or does it have to be reamed?

·
Registered
20,445 Posts
zac said:
One size fits all? Superflex Polyurethane Bushes must be pulling my plonk then. They quote 'The four manufactured formulations of firmness (70, 80, 90, & 95 Shore-A) enable us to match the needs of each individual application'.
Your plonker has been pulled.
When working on prototypes of 'rubber' bushings for the auto industry we were involved in butadyene/styrene ratios, voidage, vulcanisation rates and other stuff to get the correct characteristics for some quite apparently simple bushes.

Firstly - Poly cannot have the same characteristics as 'rubber' - for example its hysteresis curve is different, also I do not believe the manufactures of these pretty bushes will do the reasearch to get any specific working characteristic.

If you are running a race car and you want a stiff bush so the suspension has a controllable characteristic - poly will probabaly help.
If you have a road car where a whole lot of different parameters effect the result - ie getting decent NVH - a replacement for standard has to be very very good.

·
Premium Member
8,813 Posts
zac said:

You mean the Rear trailing arm bushes, different arrangement.
This thread is about front trailing aems, which have needle roller bearings, and bronze bushes which are lubricated with grease pumped into the front axle beam. Replacing those with PU, or any other synthetic is not a good idea.
The rears run dry, in those big rubber doughnuts, so using PU here is not as drastic a change, but the self lubricating properties of PU defeat the object of the rear bushes, they are a tight fit, and are meant to 'flex' with the trailing arm movement, not to allow it to turn inside the bush, which wears them out too quickly.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts