Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There's been threads in the past on what got you into old VWs, but not so much on what it is that makes us keep hold of them.
I got into VWs purely by chance. 30 years ago as a 17year old looking for my first car, I wanted a mini but they were all rusty and too much money. I was offered my '68 beetle by a friends dad (my friend didn't want it...far too uncool), but it was cheaper and better condition than any mini I'd looked at.

So, why have I kept it...?
Well, it was my first car and I've had it since 1991 - if I sold it, I'd probably never be able to own it again (kind of like 'it's only original once'), but also, I've created many memories in it, from blowing up the first engine, spinning it on icy roads, melting the sole of my trainer with the floor heater vent (yes, the heaters can be great). On top of that, I've invested time and money in it, probably more than I ever should have, and definitely more than I'd get back. When I bump into friends that I've not seen in a while, one of the first things they ask is 'have you still got that old VW? I remember when we......'. I don't think I could ever part with it... I've never been part of the 'scene' but I've met some decent folk over the years, often when buying and selling parts, and I hope that continues.

I imagine it's similar for a lot of other folk, but how long have you had your VW and what's made you keep hold of it over other cars that you've owned?

·
Registered
9,997 Posts
I don’t have my first but I’ve had my camper (68 Westy) now for 15 years.
I know it inside out, it does everything I want it to (with some practical compromises of course) and it is, to a point, safe money. It’s also been so useful the last couple of years for days out and holidays during restrictions.
I never say never but no plans to move it on just yet.

·
Registered
12,356 Posts
I wanted a beetle as my first car when i passed my test as a school friend got one for his 13th birthday.
My mum put her foot down and said no as she said they were not safe, so i got a nova that i ended up rolling 6 months later. :rolleyes:
My beetle was bought as a replacement shortly afterwards, was rotten as a pear but couldn't get more smiles per gallon.
After spending years working on her getting it back into roadworthy condition she's part of the family and i can't see me ever selling her. I've owned her 25 years now.

·
Registered
4,631 Posts
I love aircooled cars because I know them inside out, and I like driving them. When I was 16/17 I just liked the quirkiness of them, but once I got to grips with how they work I've never really trusted any car that is any more complicated. 🤣

I've never found myself in a position where I needed to sell them so I've still got them. Well, I have one. As with most of us there are cars I sold that I wish I'd kept, but with having kids I didn't have the space for a 'sensible' car and multiple 'leisure' cars.

·
Administrator
166,887 Posts
I don't own my first VW either - I tend to change my cars abit - but I've always had at least one aircooled VW for as long as I can remember - they're just 'special'.

I love my 911s and Yanks (both classic and modern) and 60s/70s UK Fords - but I'll always have a VW.

I currently have a nice '62 'Restocal' style Bug. :)

·
Registered
6,443 Posts
My family all had aircooleds so I grew up with them. Inevitable that I would get one - my second daily. was a Mexi less than 5 years old...I went to Bug Jam 1 in it.

I have had loads of them, in all sorts of styles/conditions from "hand painted cheap banger bug" to "hot motored '57 23 window" and "MOT'd Pro drag oval ". Some I kept for longer than others.

Nobody says to me "you still go that old VW" but they say instead "what old VW have you got now?". I have a paused big project right now, and despite me saying that it's the last, I do also still have a hankering for a fast low Trekker.....

Why - I know how they work inside and out - how to fix and or improve them. They feel more than just a vehicle to me. I can hear, see and smell when they are going wrong. They are just so in my blood.

Reactions: fire3500

·
Registered
13,175 Posts
I've still got my first bug, 28 or so years later. Was daily for 10 years then had a nut and bolt resto. I like working on them as it's a contrast to the day job - probably why I've usually got a silly amount of projects on the go at any one time (currently 6).

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
I've had my first and only bug for around 16 years. I've never really been in the scene but have loved learning everything I have about the car (with no small amount of help from the community on here), from mechanics, welding, electronics to interior trim. My bug is a very different beast to the one I bought 16 years ago, but has also gone long stretches without me so much as touching it (kids, work changes, house moves etc - albeit it has been well tucked up in a garage).

Regarding keeping it, not sure. I have no plans to sell, but it feels like I have so little time with busy family / work life to put into it (even just driving it), it could be put to far better use in someone else's care. As above, I've put far more time and money into it than I'll ever hope to see back, plus the chance of re-buying one should I sell and then regret it, would be zero, so I guess it'll stay with me for now and I'll make a concerted effort to make a bit more time to enjoy it.

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think that's a really good point, I never make the time to enjoy the car but would never part with it. It seems odd to me to have to make time to do something you enjoy but when I think about it, it's exactly that... planning to do stuff on the car, or planning to use it, and finding opportunities to fun things with it.

·
Registered
4,237 Posts
I still have my first. I've had it since 1991 and will never sell.
I'm currently going through some harsh times personally, but driving this beetle has always made me smile. I'm doing a restoration on it so that I can get back driving it again. Its the most constant thing in my life, two marriages, two divorces, my beetle has still made me smile.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Had my beetle (first car) 34 years now - never really used as a daily, has gone through a few transformations ( it matured a little ) - will never get rid unless I really had to. Ideally my daughter will get the bug and actually use it :)

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
My first VW was a type 3 fastback I bought in 1992 which unfortunately I don't own anymore. I broke it for spares in the end as I couldn't keep up with the maintenance as it was my daily car and I was having to service and oil change it monthly because of the commuting miles I was driving. I drove it in to the ground. :( I did also have a camper by then which I was in the middle of building which was taking up all my spare time. That and young kids and work, I just didn't have the time for the fastback. This was in 2007 and I still have the camper now in 2021.
My wife (girlfriend then) had a beetle in 1987 which she kept until about 2002 I think?
My daughter had a beetle for her 17th birthday which she loved but unfortunately sold it in the end as it just wasn't practical for her during her teacher training after she left home without me to look after it for her. It was OK though, she did by another VW. A Lupo.
My son had a Mk2 Polo for his 17th, and he still has it now at 24! How he manages today with the 1L 45HP engine in todays traffic I don't know, but he is thinking of changing it out soon.
As you can see, we hang on to our VWs!

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Still got mine.
Bought in 1990, £240.
Needed new bottom 6 inches, run it around as a daily until it got hit in 94, got it back on the roads in 96, as a sort of UK custom style, just been a sort of rolling project since, now I’m older, wiser, more patient and with a better skill set, I’ve been going over all the bodges that were done 30 years ago and doing them properly.
I still love driving it, the wife hates it, but it’s been the only constant throughout my adult life.

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Legend..., that's kind of where mine is at. £475 in 1991, but ran it as was for a few years. Blew up the 1200 motor in about 1996 (Apparently valve clearances are something that should be checked and adjusted, as my 20-something self found out). Replaced it with a Vege 1600TP at twice what I paid for the car in the first place. Restored on the cheap, but put genuine 67 doors, front and rear bodywork (valances, decklid, bonnet, sloping wings) on it... they were cheap at the time. I'm just now doing it again properly but a dilemma as to whether to go back to 68 panels, or keep the 67 since it's there...

·
Wannabe Chat Slut
1,545 Posts
Stubborness really I think, and not wanting to let go of a part of my childhood / young adult life. Since I was 13 I have owned at least one VW, and usually more!

Without the 'scene' I think my life would have turned out quite differently, certainly in terms of most of my closest friends who I am unlikely to have crossed paths with otherwise.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Always liked bugs since I was a kid and had collected loads of models ones, got mine in 1995 as my first car and still have it, threatened to sell a few years ago as hadn't left the garage in a while, but thankfully didn't. Stopped doing the show thing around that time so now just enjoy it myself and take out the odd weekend when I can.

Great to see that most in this thread are the same and have their VWs since the 90s too!

·
Help! I'm trapped in here
19,217 Posts
my problem is that once my little grippy hands get themselves on a car, it seems a struggle to get them to let go 😂

I still have my first car - 71 1300 Bug. I got him on the 15th December 2001. I haven’t driven him since a catastrophic MOT failure in 2003, but still wouldn’t part with him. I currently have 9 Volkswagens. At least 5 of those I will never sell, dot various different reasons. My 71 was my first car. You only get one first car. I promised myself when I was about 10 that I’d keep my 1st car forever. My 66 Split was my first bus and first project. Blood sweat and tears have gone into him. Literally lol. My 98 Newbie was my first New Bug. I’d wanted one since I was 13. He is far too naughty to consider selling. My 08 Newbie was my driving school car. He’s saved my life more times than I care to remember. We went through a lot together and he is still my current daily over 180k miles later. And my recently acquired 70 Karmann Bug was given to me by my parents (they got her in 2002) on the condition that I not allowed to sell her.

I guess a lot of the reason I don’t want to sell them is that I feel like they are a part of me. Of my personality. My VWs have been such a massive part of my life over the last 20yrs. I have some fantastic friends because of them. They are my passion and my hobby. I have based every single house purchase I’ve made around “where will Joey live?”

·
Registered
737 Posts
I’ve had bugs since the 90’s (most were rotten shitters) then as the years have gone by my skills and patience have allowed me to have better cars, I did try a fastback but it just wasn’t a bug, (too smooth too quiet and ugly) so went back to beetles, I now have the big motored late car that I always dreamt about as a younger bloke. It’s great, really awesome and I can’t think of another car that I could own that would give me the same feeling, just knowing it’s in my garage and it’s mine , makes me happy

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I have a 4.0 ltr passat, I was gunna sell it, but fuel prices are high. As its LPG at 60p a litre I'll have to keep it till its scrap.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Had my first roadster,1990 wanted a vert because I was going to Holland for a couple of months, had it for 16 years sold it because had no where to keep. Followed by a v8 blue baja , 1300 beetle, couple of buggy projects that never got done, a one owner 79 Bay, karmann ghia. Still got Oval drag car project , 57 UK rhd splitty, had both now for 15 years ish, sadly the splitty may go as heading to 60 next year and just want the oval project and my countach kitcar project to keep which I have had 20 years , also going to sell my peougot boxer motorhome , will eventually just have one hobby car to wash and polish.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts