Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have only had my '79 Bay for about 6 weeks. The engine has good compression, but is leaking like a sieve! The carbs need an overhaul too as they are leaking a bit & the throttle spindle is worn. Needs setting up & tuning once sorted as its popping downhill & running rich. This is all going to be done in the next 10 days. She starts up fine after 4-5 cranks on the starter, EXCEPT just after I've filled up with petrol. It then sounds like the starter is stuck/battery flat, slowly turning over, then usually (twice in 6 weeks I've had to bump it) it fires up. After that its fine again until I fill it up with petrol again. Any ideas?

Cheers

Ragged

·
Registered
623 Posts
not sure, coincidence? Can't see how filling up affects the starting. worth a shot with the relay, put one on my bus and not had any probs since, mine did the same at the garage twice and i had to push it of the forecourt. Used to happen a lot when the engine got warm. As i said since the relay its been fine.

·
Registered
18,482 Posts
Sounds like "hydraulic lock" to me.

With full tank, fuel is (somehow) forcing its way into
the carb bowls. The excess fuel then dribbles into the
manifold, flooding the cylinders. The cylinders full of
fuel have abnormally high compression and that's why the
starter is complaining.

You may have a carb needle valve which is not seating fully
or is not tightened. Fixing that may sort a host of problems.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I'm with Speedy Jim ^^^^ on this being some sort of hydraulic lock, but have a slightly different suggestion as to the likely cause.

Don't know your carb set up, so can't be sure, but the following effect is quite common for some vehicles, including my 2.25 petrol Land Rover!

When you stop for a few minutes (like when you fill up), you stop getting any cooling airflow. Temperature in the carbs starts to rise by conducted heat, fuel expands, pushes into inlet manifold.

If you stop for longer, doesn't seem to cause the same problem, presumably because the carbs have started to cool again, but any fuel in the inlet manifold has evaporated.

That's my theory, anyway! Feel free to rubbish it!

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well hopefully the full refurb of the carb may sort it....gonna rewire soon as well so may put the regulator in then..cheers for the suggestions

Ragged

·
Highly Respected Member
13,500 Posts
If you change to a CB rotary electric fuel pump. they have a built in return cct that allows hot expanded fuel to go back to the tank rather than pushing past the needle valves and flooding the engine.

Personally I don't think that a few extra dribbles of fuel would affect the starter motor, sure it will take the engine a little longer to start, but I think the sluggish starter is down to the usual VW hot starter problem. 5 mins stopped after a decent run is all it takes.

The relay trick will probably help.

Dave.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts