Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My BT provider is down, so I switched to a wireless signal - which works, to my amazement. Question is though - who pays for it? Will I get a bill somehow? Clever stuff, all this...

·
Registered
760 Posts
someones paying for it, but it obviously aint you! ;) and no you wont get charged. my sister uses het laptop on the tinternet for free! :D

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cool. Gotta be careful though cos it is an unsecure connection. I won't do internet banking or anything - should be ok?

·
Registered
21,814 Posts
yeah be ok! On on a neighbours hehe
Our one is crap at the mo

But there is a new law that says you are stealing! Didnt a couple of people go to court for it? Sitting outside someones house in their car with their laptops on?

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, it's only til mine's back on. Nice and quick though - works a treat! I haven't been online since yesterday so this is a relief - weather's crap so I've fuck all else to do.

·
Help! I'm trapped in here
52,672 Posts
Gal said:
yeah be ok! On on a neighbours hehe
Our one is crap at the mo

But there is a new law that says you are stealing! Didnt a couple of people go to court for it? Sitting outside someones house in their car with their laptops on?
It ain't a new law it is the Computer Misuse Act of 1990 and it is wholly wrong. How do you know the poor sod you are stealing bandwidth from isn't on limited bandwidth himself, your extra load on his connection could limit his net access.

·
Registered
21,814 Posts
to be fair. Ours isnt secured either so come sit outside and rip ours off. Landlord pays for it and doesnt know how to set it up. tried telling him and that Virgi are fooking him over saying that reason we have a slow download rate is due to blah blah.
Thats balls as when I was on aol here it was fine!

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
clarkson said:
It ain't a new law it is the Computer Misuse Act of 1990 and it is wholly wrong. How do you know the poor sod you are stealing bandwidth from isn't on limited bandwidth himself, your extra load on his connection could limit his net access.
It's not exactly hard to set up a secure wireless connection, so I don't think it's too bad - and not that many people are on limited bandwidth plans now!

I would do it if my connection was down, but I wouldn't freeload on a regular basis.

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
clarkson said:
How do you know the poor sod you are stealing bandwidth from isn't on limited bandwidth himself, your extra load on his connection could limit his net access.
Too true - if whoever you are nicking the connection off has a bandwidth cap he/she could in fact be paying extra for the bandwidth being stolen. Not very fair really.

·
Registered
21,814 Posts
Dont get me wrong! I dont do it all the time!

When ever it rains alot ours goes all tits up.

At the mo Im back on our one.

·
Registered
29,348 Posts
In my opinion if you haven't got your wireless secured then it's your own fault if someone uses it. It's not exactly difficult to secure it.

·
Registered
45,845 Posts
buggingyou said:
In my opinion if you haven't got your wireless secured then it's your own fault if someone uses it. It's not exactly difficult to secure it.
ah, but if you popped to the bank machine for a second and left the keys in your car would you think fair dos if someone drove off with it?

·
Registered
29,348 Posts
westy77 said:
ah, but if you popped to the bank machine for a second and left the keys in your car would you think fair dos if someone drove off with it?
I would be completely gutted be calling them knobs but also calling myself a stupid thick blonde for leaving my keys in the car and kicking myself. I'm sure my insurance would agree with me too.

·
52,672 Posts
buggingyou said:
My mother has just used a PC for the first time, aged 56 and she wouldn't have a clue how to secure wireless. You obviously have a lack of respect for other peoples property. The fuel cap on a early bay van does not lock, so is it ok to syphon the petrol out? It must be, I bought a vehicle that does not have a lock on the petrol cap, so it is my fault all the petrol got stolen.

·
Registered
760 Posts
buggingyou said:
yeah i agree. and think most people should really be on un-limited!

·
Registered
45,845 Posts
buggingyou said:
I would be completely gutted be calling them knobs but also calling myself a stupid thick blonde for leaving my keys in the car and kicking myself. I'm sure my insurance would agree with me too.
i just think its wrong to take something just because its there, and say its the persons fault for not securing it, someone on this thread wants people to leave the forum for not spelling words correctly, but its ok to steal internetz, i find that odd, maybe itsme thats weird :crazy:

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well, I'm just 'hitching' for a little while, til mine's back up. I'm only surfing anyway.

·
52,672 Posts
westy77 said:
i just think its wrong to take something just because its there, and say its the persons fault for not securing it, someone on this thread wants people to leave the forum for not spelling words correctly, but its ok to steal internetz, i find that odd, maybe itsme thats weird :crazy:
I do as well, this is what is wrong with the world, no respect. It is not yours so don't touch it.

·
Registered
29,348 Posts
westy77 said:
I'm not saying I think it's ok to do it. What I am saying is that people should secure there network, if they don't know how then technical help lines etc would help them do it. It's not just running the risk of people using your connection but what if Jean Berk wasn't a nice neighbour he could hack into there computer get bank detail etc.

EDIT : I never said it was ok, I just said that it's your own fault too ;)

·
Registered
414 Posts
my internet is not secure but thats my fault, if someone is piggybacking off me, thats my fault.

As for the comment about leaving your keys in the car, thats your fault.

The world is full off rotters, we should all know that by now!!!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts