Volkszone Forum banner

Windscreen washers - '62 bug

805 Views 11 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  Laurence Fletcher
Righto

I've got to get the bug MOT'd. but the windscreen washer is still the old 'air preasure' job that is supposed to screw to the spare wheel.

Unfortunatley the big Holley fuel pump for the NOS is sat in tge spare wheel well, so no chance of the stock system working...

Anyone got any smart ideas or pics of how they sorted the thing out?
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
You could have a little trailer wheel and tyre in there perhaps. :D

Or what about screwing one of those little bike tyre inflator canisters to it? Don't know if that'd be too much pressure for it to take though.
Id go for a small trailer type wheel too. :)

Either that or possibly convert to an electric washer pump...
yellow_spider said:
Id go for a small trailer type wheel too. :)

Either that or possibly convert to an electric washer pump...
You know, i just hadn't thought of that....

Or maybe i had.

But what i don't want is a tacky little electric motor wired somewhere in the engine bay.

does anyone know if someone does a washer bottle that fits in the stock postion but has a built in pump, or any other ideas?

but cheers for your input anyway chaps.
or why not just get a electric washer pump from BBT, and whip the spare in the boot (for MOT reason only)
For a '62 you should have a valve which pressurises the bottle, running off the spare tyre came later in the 60s.

I've been running mine without a spare tyre since I've had it
garethj said:
For a '62 you should have a valve which pressurises the bottle, running off the spare tyre came later in the 60s.

I've been running mine without a spare tyre since I've had it
Cheers, i'll have another look at it, come to think, it didn't have the pipe for the spare...
2-bob Monkey Mafia said:
does anyone know if someone does a washer bottle that fits in the stock postion but has a built in pump, or any other ideas?
This is probably no help but... the late (mexi bug style) washer bottle with built in pump (it fits on the wing bolts)

But i am unsure whether it will fit / could be made to fit an early model...
2-bob Monkey Mafia said:
Cheers, i'll have another look at it, come to think, it didn't have the pipe for the spare...
If it's got a valve with no pipe then stick a footpump onto it and put 42psi in. Usually they work ok, the most common problem is pressure leaking out but it should get you through an MOT for a day
plastic drinks bottle and tube slung off underside of dash (until I sort an electric one) has just got through daughters bugs mot
2-bob Monkey Mafia said:
.....what i don't want is a tacky little electric motor wired somewhere in the engine bay..................
No, I'd agree with that, but have you discovered where the engine really is yet?................. :incheek:
toooldforthis said:
plastic drinks bottle and tube slung off underside of dash (until I sort an electric one) has just got through daughters bugs mot
So how does that work then ?
Does she have to squeeze it with her knees ?
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.