Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

The windscreen washer switch on my '72 van has packed up: the water valve will not close. A replacement switch is more expensive than a kit to change to elevctric washer.

Has anyone fitted one of these kits? Are they any good? Or am I better off sticking to the original set up?

Thanks

·
Highly Respected Member
13,589 Posts
I fitted electric to the Beetle - and removed the valve from the original switch and replaced it with a push button from Maplins to work the new washer pump.

So you can keep the original switch, and not have to drill any new holes.

Dave.

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
I bought a second hand replacement to fix mine. On my old bug I converted to electric motor (from a saab or a ford) and it worked well, but for me I felt it lost 'character' and 'charm'. I much prefer the original look and feel. Even if the original washer doesn't do as good a job as the new versions it still does the job. Plus there's no extra drain on power with the original washer compared to the new electric (ableit tiny).

·
Registered
11,191 Posts
There is no charm about having to pump up a washer bottle under the dash! It is a crap design that can leave you without washers. They are prone to either leaking air or water.

You don't really need a kit, just the basic parts. Buy a universal washer pump for about £8, a push button switch of your choice & a length of wire & some crimp terminals.

They are piss easy to wire up & it will all be out of sight. Find an ignition live in the fuse box, run it to one side of the switch. Run a wire from the other side of the switch to the + on the new pump. The - on the pump just goes to ground.

The plumbing is easy too. Cut the pipe as it comes out of the bottle, leaving about 10 inches still on the bottle. Plug the pump 'in', run a pipe from 'out' up to the jet.

The power drain while the engine running will be nothing & does not even need to be considered. Your brake lights or indicators use much much more power.

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
There is no charm about having to pump up a washer bottle under the dash! It is a crap design that can leave you without washers. They are prone to either leaking air or water.

You don't really need a kit, just the basic parts. Buy a universal washer pump for about £8, a push button switch of your choice & a length of wire & some crimp terminals.

They are piss easy to wire up & it will all be out of sight. Find an ignition live in the fuse box, run it to one side of the switch. Run a wire from the other side of the switch to the + on the new pump. The - on the pump just goes to ground.

The plumbing is easy too. Cut the pipe as it comes out of the bottle, leaving about 10 inches still on the bottle. Plug the pump 'in', run a pipe from 'out' up to the jet.

The power drain while the engine running will be nothing & does not even need to be considered. Your brake lights or indicators use much much more power.
I think we'll have to agree to disagree on that original feature then :D
Personally I think it's a good simple mechanical solution that works well if maintained and kept in good order.

On my old bug I just got the electric washer pump from a saab or ford and fitted it as Pete Nice has stated. It is dead easy and works well (if a little noisey compared to the original ;) )

·
Registered
745 Posts
I fitted an elecric water pump to my bay and I put a microswitch where the valve is so it operates in the normal way. You have to put a one way valve in the tubing so the water doesn't drain back into the water bottle. Fitting the microswitch was quite tricky - there's limitied space in the steering column. A pin operates the valve so I drilled a small hole in the microswitch so the pin couldn't slip off. Well worth it though and I would reccomend it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.