Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
4,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been thinkin about this for years

What i want to do is run oil cooling pipes
to the front of the van, and put a cooler into a heat matrix under the floor. this way i can cool the engine and heat the cab when neccessary.

1. will an uprated melling pump be up to the job of all that extra oil journey?

2. anyone done anything similar

3. any reasons why its a shit idea????

ta

·
Registered
470 Posts
Thats a really long run for the oil pump to be working on, if I where you I would do a mock up and check the oil pressure at the end of the return to the cylinder block got a feeling you might have too much of a drop in oil pressure.

·
Registered
4,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
good point.

maybe just run it to the rear of the van, above the gearbox as usual,
then pipe it from there?

·
Registered
222 Posts
Think you'll have to use a VERY deep sump!
Stock VW holds 2.5 litres! If you use 12mm(1/2inch) pipe, 2M long??? That'll hold 2.26 litres in the pipe!.... Each way!!!! :hangloose

·
Registered
4,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
but the sump wont matter cos the pipe will be primed
therefore holding oil itself until 180degrees or till its overridden

anyway it seems too far to go all the way to the front as said up there^^^^^

·
Registered
57 Posts
dirtydave said:
Think you'll have to use a VERY deep sump!
Stock VW holds 2.5 litres! If you use 12mm(1/2inch) pipe, 2M long??? That'll hold 2.26 litres in the pipe!.... Each way!!!! :hangloose
Bloody Hell - I would not even know where to start figuring those maths out!

Straight to the Top of the Class!!

·
Registered
222 Posts
von-van said:
but the sump wont matter cos the pipe will be primed
therefore holding oil itself until 180degrees or till its overridden
You're damn right there! :rolleyes: I'll think before I open me mouth next time! :D

·
Registered
222 Posts
stjohnswell said:
Bloody Hell - I would not even know where to start figuring those maths out!

Straight to the Top of the Class!!
Same way you'd figure out your engine displacement! Area = pi R squared etc. :hangloose

·
Registered
4,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
even if it ran part way under the floor, then piped the rest of the way internally through a matrix.
or even just a flap and a blower.

1. flap up, blower on = internal heat
2. flap down, cooling air from below passing over cooler when in motion
3. flap down, blower on in reverse(possibly) still cooling. when in traffic/under heavy load etc
4. flap halfway, bit of both :D

·
Watercooled, and warm!
10,277 Posts
von-van said:
even if it ran part way under the floor, then piped the rest of the way internally through a matrix.
or even just a flap and a blower.

1. flap up, blower on = internal heat
2. flap down, cooling air from below passing over cooler when in motion
3. flap down, blower on in reverse(possibly) still cooling. when in traffic/under heavy load etc
4. flap halfway, bit of both :D
I suggested similar a few months back on here and the shoptalk forums, the general opinion was that the heat generated would be negligable for the effort and work put in, plus there is always the danger of over cooling the oil which is no good for the engine.

I've settled on a cold winter this year but an Erbsprecher for next :D

·
Registered
4,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yeah, thats the main drawback, if engine is already cool then you cant take more heat.

what do eberschpacers go for then :D

·
Watercooled, and warm!
10,277 Posts
I was looking on ebay for them and they range from £50 for a secondhand one up to £600 for a new one, I'm going to treat myself to a new one as I can't be bothererd getting a secondhand one to work.

·
Watercooled, and warm!
10,277 Posts
deejay451 said:
If you're interested, I have a BN4 eber. in full working order, checked over, calibrated, parts recon'd or replaced as required all up and running.Price will be £215 though. (It takes me over a week to sort one out properly) Have a pic. :D

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v737/deejay451/DSCN6092.jpg
Do you install them too for extra cash? If not how hard are the to wire in?

·
Registered
719 Posts
No, I don't install them :D But the wiring is a peice of cake. I can put a relay on it so you just have to run one wire to the starter terminal (this is a permanent supply point ) and one wire to a straighforward on/off switch.

·
Watercooled, and warm!
10,277 Posts
deejay451 said:
No, I don't install them :D But the wiring is a peice of cake. I can put a relay on it so you just have to run one wire to the starter terminal (this is a permanent supply point ) and one wire to a straighforward on/off switch.
Do they come with the timer etc?

·
snide twat
39,983 Posts
BarryWinsper said:
I suggested similar a few months back on here and the shoptalk forums, the general opinion was that the heat generated would be negligable for the effort and work put in, plus there is always the danger of over cooling the oil which is no good for the engine.

I've settled on a cold winter this year but an Erbsprecher for next :D
another consideration: is the oil pump man enough to move all that extra oil? I doubt it is :)

1 - 20 of 55 Posts