Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I have a 1971 1302s bug

The wipers went through a stage of being temperamental, and now they have stopped working all together.

The motor gets warm when i leave the switch on for a while. Could this be a wiring problem or a motor/mechanism seizure?

Thanks for any help on this.

·
Highly Respected Member
13,500 Posts
Could be either.

Remove the wiper motor & mech (fairly easy job) and any seized mech will soon be apparent. You'll need to remove it to repair / replace anyway.

Tape over the spindle holes if the car stands outside, while you have it off the car.

Dave.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Dave

Is there any easy way to check that voltage is getting to the motor correctly before I start taking the mechanism to bits? I have a volt meter, and just want to check that its not an electical fault first.

Cheers

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Moby5153 said:
Disconnect the drive link 9 from the motor by removing 10/11 and see if the motor runs with it off. If the motor runs normally then your spindles 1 and 2 will be seized. You'll need to remove them and either regrease or replace them.
Wow, cheers moby. I've still got to get you a photo of my pully so you can hopefully help me out with the timing mark. But the wipers are more important at the mo!

·
Highly Respected Member
13,500 Posts
Can't remember which wire it is, but if you have a multimeter, and know how to use it, check -

The motor case / body is fully earthed to the car.

At least one of the wires to the motor becomes live when the switch is turned on, and goes when it's turned off.

If you can prove both of these, and the motor has been working OK, and all the connections are good & tight, then I'd take the mech out for inspection. It's not a big job, and you can check & lube the linkage points & spindles while it's out.

If the motor is getting warm, it means that at least some current is flowing through, so my bet would either be a poor earth or a mechanical fault. (seized spindle or jammed mech)

If it turns out to be a mechanical fault, check you have the correct value of fuse fitted. I would have expected it to blow, esp if you left it on long enough to get warm.

Dave.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, I disconnected the mechanism and the motor still did nothing. (I could move the wiper blades pretty easy by hand)

Here are my results from poking around with the the volt meter -

Thanks for your help with this guys, I'll get there in the end!

Also there is earth between the motor casing and the car body

·
Highly Respected Member
13,500 Posts
Can't say if the voltages are correct, because my beetle is in bits for resto, (I reckon they're OK.)

However, you do have voltage there, and an earth, so the fault is going to be somwhere within the motor or gearbox. I'd start a little careful dismantling and see if you can see anything obvious, like wires broken, bearings or windings burnt out, that sort of thing.

Dave.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Done it!

I took the motor out and carefully dismantled it. There was loads of orange rust deposit inside and the whole thing was pretty mucky. I couldnt turn the spindle by hand. I went at the inside case with some WD40 and a wire brush and cleaned it all up. Put it back together and tested it without connecting it to the mechanism. The motor came to life and then it was just a case of putting everything back together.

Thanks whippy and moby for your help.

·
Highly Respected Member
13,500 Posts
Excellent !

Just wondering why it was rusty inside ?

Is your screen washer pipe dripping onto it or is the washer nozzle not sealing to the scuttle panel ?

Dave.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts