Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
15,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stupid idea or not??

Problem is I've seen photos of someone's that did it all in black and red and I want to do the same! Think it might be a nightmare if I ever had to trace a wiring fault!!

Was thinking maybe using a few colours

eg One colour for everything light related, one for guage senders, one for engine feeds and one for all the dash wiring.

Anyone done it like this?

·
Registered
151 Posts
you can get "cable idents" to number each end of the cable. Aeroplanes are wired this way. There are guys on the shoptalkforums in the usa who supply race looms like this (big money). you can buy the idents on the on-line cable supply shops.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Very daft idea IMHO!,

I did my buggy a few years ago now, but the time spent getting it right has proved worthwhile, I used 7 core trailer cable for most of my loom.

I had loom tunnels down either side of the tub under the top lip, Down the right i ran 1 length 7 core and 1 large diameter power cable. Down the right side 2 lengths of 7 core.

To the front 1 peice of twin core either side and i made a new loom for each front light and ran that with each peice of twin core.

7 core (1 to each rear corner)

1 ind+
2 ind-
3 Stop+
4 Tail+
5 stop/tail-
6 Spare
7 Spare

Other 7 core to engine

1 No plate light+
2 No. plate light-
3 Rev counter feed
4 Oil press Feed

This from memory and i cant remember what the last 3 went to but you get the idea. Made life very easy and kept it all very tidy

Fancy-bug:bandit:

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
But it looks so good! And it's cheaper to buy the cable!

I thought that might be the response!

Anyone know a cheaper supplier than vehicle wiring products?
The price of the cable is the same regardless of the colour. What is important is the cable rating and since you should be covering the loom in either loom tape or run it in PVC sleeving you will not be seeing much of it anyway. Cool?? it may be the stuff of nightmares for the person having to trace the fault who might just be you and then you'll curse the day you had this idea.

Try these people

http://www.autoelectricsupplies.co.uk/

·
Registered
15,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The price of the cable is the same regardless of the colour. What is important is the cable rating and since you should be covering the loom in either loom tape or run it in PVC sleeving you will not be seeing much of it anyway. Cool?? it may be the stuff of nightmares for the person having to trace the fault who might just be you and then you'll curse the day you had this idea.

Try these people

Cheers I'll check the link out.

I meant it cheaper cos you can get 30 or 50m reels in one colour, if you order it in 10m lengths etc it gets more.

·
Registered
15,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Try these people

Cheers I'll check the link out.

I meant it cheaper cos you can get 30 or 50m reels in one colour, if you order it in 10m lengths etc it gets more.

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
But since it is inside a PVC sleeve how are you going to see what colour it is? Therefore "Cool" doesn't enter into it. As for price how much are you going to save as compared to the time you will waste sorting it out.

·
Highly Respected Member
13,589 Posts
Years ago I wired up a Baja for a friend who wanted it all done in black. I tried to talk him out of the idea but his mind was set on it.

He didn't want any visible idents left on it either :eek: so I used masking tape on every end of the wire as I went, writing on the tape what wire it was. Once we got everything working fine we removed all the masking tape idents.

My warranty on the wiring job expired 10 seconds later and I told him in no uncertain terms that if he ever had any problems with it, he was on his own.

Dave.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
if you want really cheap why not get a loom from a recent motor at a scrapyard (not a breakers where they charge 2/3 new price + vat) you can then strip that for colours as needed.
get a beetle loom about £200 and shorten it or buy a buggy loom.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts