Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone can tell me what wires should be running from the back to the front of my bay?

I was intending to replace the wiring loom on my bay and so took one off a bay with a dynamo and regulator. However, my bay has an alternator.

There seems to be a larger amount of wires running through the main loom and coming into the engine bay on mine than the one I took off a bay with a dynamo.

Would having an alternator mean that the loom is a lot different?

Geoff

·
Registered
18,482 Posts
No, alt or dynamo wouldn't affect the Main loom to the front.
There may be minor differences in the engine bay wires but you
should be able to overcome that.

What could affect it is the number of rear lights (not all Bays were alike). Another factor is the extra wiring for the Diagnostic socket.
Again, not all Bays were alike in that respect.

You don't say what year(s) these are out of, but you can download
a suitable diagram here:
http://www.vintagebus.com/wiring.html

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry I was looking at the wiring wrong and realised both looms are pretty much the same. I took the wiring off a 1973 and mine is a 1974.

Thanks for the wiring diagram links. Hopefully things should match up okay.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was wondering what people do with the diagnostic socket when they are wiring a new loom in. Is it something that needs to be kept in the wiring for any reason?

The wiring diagrams don't seem to show the diagnostic sockets.

The difference between an altnerator and dynamo set up is it just that there is no connection via the regulator? The wires simply go to the alternator?

·
Registered
18,482 Posts
If you have the right diagram the socket is usually shown.
I have a separate page on my web site devoted to the socket
and all its connections:
http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/htm/plug.htm
There is no reason to keep it and wires can be taped up.

You can't make a blanket statement that alternator cars have no regulator connections. Many vans came stock with alternator which
had an external regulator. In any event, it doesn't really
affect the Main loom.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.