Volkszone Forum banner

wobbly mk2 Golf

774 views 13 replies 4 participants last post by  herbiematt 
#1 ·
Hi, my mk2 Golf gets the shakes when driving at slow speeds, up to about 35mph (so really annoying around town). Basically I can feel the steering wheel shaking a bit, doesn't impact driveability, but its annoying. Can't feel it at speeds greater than 40mph..

Whats it likley to be? Alignment? Wheel balancing? Other suspension bits?

Thanks!

#4 ·
Ok, thanks for the tip, will call my local tyre dealer, should be quite cheap to sort I guess.

On a related subject, is the alignment on the mk2 and easy job? Or are there many adjustments (camber, caster, toe in-out etc)? My sterring wheel is not totally on center when going dead straight.

Thanks again!

#5 ·
depends if its been lowerd? lots of people lower golfs and dont bother to readjust the caster/camber! tracking is straight forward if the track rod ends arnt to siezed the tyre dealer should do this for around 25-30squid

if they have the correct equipment caster / camber isnt a hard job either

#7 ·
Nope, car is completely standard so I guess no need for adjustment of camber / caster.

I got quoted 90 squid from one local shop for 4 wheel alignment... then again, they did want 25 for adjusting the headlight, so I told them where to stick it... ;)

Thanks again

#9 ·
RGubbioli said:
Nope, car is completely standard so I guess no need for adjustment of camber / caster.

I got quoted 90 squid from one local shop for 4 wheel alignment... then again, they did want 25 for adjusting the headlight, so I told them where to stick it... ;)

Thanks again
haha, nice one :lol:

Golfs are great cars to own and work on, i love em to bits. If it's standard it does seem strange that the tracking is out, has it always been out?

#12 ·
neil_1821 said:
haha, nice one :lol:

Golfs are great cars to own and work on, i love em to bits. If it's standard it does seem strange that the tracking is out, has it always been out?
you'd be surprised i bet 80% of cars on the road have out tracking!! it dont take much to throw it out, brush against the curb, pot hole,bit of off roading!!!

#13 ·
Thanks for the feedback, I hadn't done tracking/alignment in a while, but I did think that 90 was a bit much...

I once had a 911, it used to be over 200 for a full alignemnt, but it takes like 4 hours to do - with a string, so no equipment costs to pass on to the customer, just pure labour. Bit annoying as I had to do it every year for some reason or another! :(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.