Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a quick question for those who spend far too much time infront of a computer screen....

I'm uber busy with work and PhD writing at the moment so one way or another I'm staring at either a CRT or crappy laptop screen for a good 16hrs a day (and when I'm not I'm squinting real close up at the surface of some material specimin or another).

I've been like this for a bit and frankly it feels like my eyes are about to burst, even wake up with them seriously aching. Now I know the only real solution is to step away from the 'puter for a few days and give them a rest but that really isn't an option :(

Just wondering how some of the serious PC usage peeps / programemers etc cope or is it just a case of more caffeine / neurofen / better or more sleep (I wish :rolleyes: )

Cheers guys!

Et aka woggle-eye :coffeecup

·
Holy Calamity
67,056 Posts
Regular breaks for one... Ten minutes out of every hour minimum. Try to have a window within view when you're sat at your PC - looking out of it helps refocus your eyes a bit, makes a big difference to me. Also, turn the screen off and look for any bright reflections that can be dealt with :)

Also, if you're mainly in word or whatever, see if you can change the document colour temporarily to something a bit less contrasty than black on white... black on a mid-blue or something. Blue is supposed to be the easiest colour on the eye, I read somewhere :)

·
Registered
13,136 Posts
an eye test would be a good start, its imperative that your eyes arnt straining before you start, secondly, regular breaks every hour-hour and half away from the PC help, get up go and make a cup of tea so your not starting at the screen. Make sure your work area is adequitly lit with a desklap to help with extra lighing. make sure your monitor is also at the right hieght, working on a laptop can result in bad RSI, i even found it, make sure its elevated and use a seperate keyboard/mouse where possible.

thats just some suggestions, im generally on my PC betwen 8am-midnight, but i take alot of breaks and get away from my pc as much as i can, making sure im comfy and well adjusted for 5hour continuous sittings.

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmm, windows eh? what be those then? :lol: Sadly I'm in the middle of a cubicle farm open plan office, if I turn my back to the screen and crane I can just see a window 30ft away with the blinds drawn :rolleyes:

Desklamp - not got one, will do this afternoon, the flouressent tubes above my desk aren't working and uni are too cheap to replace them beacuse of the unusual height of the celing (high!)

Good tip about background, will try that and make skive sessions a bit more regular but cant get away for too long unfortunately.

Cheers for the tips, got a couple of things I can try at least :)

-Et-

·
Saddest VZi'er 2016
11,485 Posts
I'd get an eye test and see if you can get some glasses for computer use if you haven't already :)

·
Holy Calamity
67,056 Posts
ET said:
Hmm, windows eh? what be those then? :lol: Sadly I'm in the middle of a cubicle farm open plan office, if I turn my back to the screen and crane I can just see a window 30ft away with the blinds drawn :rolleyes:
Drink LOADS of water too. Not only is it good for you, but the regular loo-breaks give your eyes a rest. :)

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Tyzer said:
I'd get an eye test and see if you can get some glasses for computer use if you haven't already :)
Specs for computer use, can you explain further? are these like reading glasses?

I wear glasses anyway but have been having problems with close focus for a little while, my optician reckons that it is fatigue induced and not anything to worry about as my eyes are otherwise healthy and have been stable for a while (only 24 so not falling to pieces yet.....)

Oh and as for the waterv - if its in the form of expresso is that ok? :lol: :crazy: :eek: I may, erm have a coffee machine on my desk.... :coffeecup

·
Saddest VZi'er 2016
11,485 Posts
ET said:
Specs for computer use, can you explain further? are these like reading glasses?

I wear glasses anyway but have been having problems with close focus for a little while, my optician reckons that it is fatigue induced and not anything to worry about as my eyes are otherwise healthy and have been stable for a while (only 24 so not falling to pieces yet.....)

Oh and as for the waterv - if its in the form of expresso is that ok? :lol: :crazy: :eek: I may, erm have a coffee machine on my desk.... :coffeecup
I think you can get glasses for computer use but don't quote me on it, I'll have a look in a min.

·
Registered
46,359 Posts
Pour vodka into each eye before you start, you wont get much work done, but then again you wont care. :D

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Tyzer said:
Interesting link that - Ta :)

Herr Pyro - I assume your vodka suggestion is to aid in the lubrication of the eyeballs hence reducing the aching sensation? I have no vodka here but I do have some industrial methyated spirits, should have the same properties. I shall try that before my meeting this afternoon :crazy: Thankyou for your help :smileface:

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
I spend around 12-14hours a day in front of a screen.

Have near-on perfect vision but the optitian has given me a very low (the lowest you can get without being two pieces of glass) long sighted glasses to sharpen the screen a little.

These are specifically for computer use only nad have an anti-reflective coating which gets rid of the glare. It really makes a huge difference. I only have to wear them if i'm tired or can feel my eyes straining.

It does make the world of difference - if you wear glasses already I would ask about the anti-glare coating, mine were from D&A and quite expensive.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts