Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all,
I have a 1968 bug which has a vacuum advance distributor and is running at TDC at 900rpm. It also runs absolutely fine when on the road.

However if I stall the bug (for example after trying to pull off in second) It simply won't start up again for long periods of time.

As I said in all other aspects it runs great however i'm worried that if I stall it when on the roads(Only Just Passed!) , I'll be stuck.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers, James

·
Registered
18,482 Posts
It simply won't start up again
Just to confirm: Engine does crank but no sign or firing up?

Quick test: When this occurs, do the OIL/GEN lights come on whilst cranking?

It could be fuel-related, but I would verify that spark is there first.
Take the HT lead out of the distrib cap and place the end near engine metal (about 10mm away). Key On. Turn engine by hand (CW) and check spark. It should jump the 10mm gap with an audible snap.

More electrickery on
Speedy Jim's new web site:
http://www.SpeedyJim.net

·
Registered
145 Posts
Mine use to evaporate its fuel due to fuel line route, had to give it a minute before restarting ( great for trapping tail gaters at lights when it stalled) but I also had a time when it would crank when hot, traced it to the wire on the starter solenoid, cleaned the connections and fitted a new bit of wire. So if it cranks then it's fuel or spark, if it doesn't turn over then it's the starter

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi all,
Thanks for all the advice however I think the problem may be to do with my choke. This is because I tried starting it with someone holding down the stepped cam and it fired straight up. I also found that I should really be running it at 5 deg ATDC because it has a Vacuum advamce, would this make any difference to the startup?

Thanks for all the advice,
Cheers James

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.