Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
20,445 Posts
Fighter aircraft are done that way.

In fact most of my re-wiring was done in whatever I had. i do not think it makes much difference as you are usually looking for Volts at the end points and measuring there. You can always find voltage or lack of at the connectors.

Someone put on here that VW used uninsulated spades - which allow you to use your trusty multimeter and so you can fix anything.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Used to work as an aerospace wireman years back, We wired all systems with one colour and used ID sleeves which were numbered for indentification.
Thatcham one bike & car alarm systems are normally also wired one colour to prevent tampering, the wires are labelled and the ID's are removed once the system is tested and working correctly.
Wiring all one colour is okay as long as you tag all the wires. :D

·
Registered
407 Posts
The reason some equipment is wired in a single colour is entirely down to stock costs/control.

If you wire the whole thing in pink, you don't need to stock control/foward order hundreds of colours, you aren't going to put production on hold when you run out of tangerine with mauve stripes etc etc.

Daft or not, the next owner is going to hate you for it! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
138 Posts
I'm sure I've seen some sheathing that goes over wiring, that is available in a range of colours. That might be the way to go !!!!

·
I'm not an addict... honest!
4,529 Posts
tonyhedge said:
Daft or not, the next owner is going to hate you for it! :rolleyes:
I was feeling the hate when I had to rewire the last owners f*ck up. Things were either one colour or he'd spray painted over them when doing the body. Oh and the half a golf wiring loom I had to remove from the previous golf engine that was in there.

Fun !

Adrian

·
Registered
21,202 Posts
I rewire aircooled VWs as a side job and I certainly wouldn't rewire it all in one colour. Due to lack of colours/costs I use orange wires for both sides of the indicators but the left side indicator is tagged with a bit of heatshrink tubing. Plus if you were to wire them the wrong way around, just swap the wires around and bingo.

Military vehicles used to be wired in all one colour (think it was grey) as this wire had heavy-duty grade insulation. However, it's not used anymore as it's been discovered that if the wire heats up very quickly (e.g. a short circuit) the insulation explodes! :eek:

·
I'm not an addict... honest!
4,996 Posts
currently rewiring mine in 4 colours - blue, orange, blue/orange and orange/blue in various amp ratings

it looks cool therfore it's worth it :D

oh and brown for the earths
:elvis:

·
Help! I'm trapped in here
8,460 Posts
Surely if you're re-wiring with brand new wire/connectors/bulbs/components etc the chance of something going wrong is far less than with an original loom? After all how many electrical problems on here are due to old/worn out components, old tatty wires breaking in half or rusty connectors causing bad earths etc?

Just a thought... :)

·
Registered
358 Posts
I am a qualified electrician and I panel wire industrial control panels on occasion. I was planning to rewire my bug with a contrasting coloured wire. As previously mentioned you can get wire Identors which are little sleeves that you slip over the end of the wires. As long as you religiously mark each end of each wire.......You cannot go wrong!! ;)

·
Registered
21,202 Posts
fatony1 said:
Surely if you're re-wiring with brand new wire/connectors/bulbs/components etc the chance of something going wrong is far less than with an original loom? After all how many electrical problems on here are due to old/worn out components, old tatty wires breaking in half or rusty connectors causing bad earths etc?

Just a thought... :)
Trouble is VW thought that 30+ years ago........

Sure you're less likely to have problems with new wiring (provided it's done properly) but how about 20-30+ years later? I'd certainly like to be driving aircooled VWs when I'm in my 60's.

·
Registered
21,202 Posts
young_dubya said:
you can get numbered wire. it only comes in black or red though. it has a number every couple of inches.

ash.
That sounds interesting. Where from and how much?

Cost is always gonna be the deciding factor for me. The wire I use in my looms is priced as such that I can use very good quality materials and charge a very reasonable price but at the same time make a good return.

I've even designed a new wiring diagram which means that apart from the main power wire non of the long wires are carrying more than 4 amps which means not only is it safer but the material costs are significantly reduced - a saving I can pass on to the customer! :)

* end of shameless plug :eek: *

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
AngelVenomous said:
That sounds interesting. Where from and how much?

Cost is always gonna be the deciding factor for me. The wire I use in my looms is priced as such that I can use very good quality materials and charge a very reasonable price but at the same time make a good return.

I've even designed a new wiring diagram which means that apart from the main power wire non of the long wires are carrying more than 4 amps which means not only is it safer but the material costs are significantly reduced - a saving I can pass on to the customer! :)

* end of shameless plug :eek: *
Generally speaking this'll be in a multicore flex or armoured cable. Numbers therefore'll be limited and costs a lot of money (and time stripping it) to get a cables that should only really be used in mechanical protection ie the bit you just stripped off!!! :D

I think.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts