Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this was a problem last winter, and I put it down to having a silly pancake type filter- with no warm air feed to the carb-
My van drives ok in the morning but I only have to break at a junction, and as I stop, so does the engine. Once warm the engine drives lovely.
Does the fact that the battery light comes on when it dies have something to do with it also (is it loosing power over night- somehow?)
Is it just I need the stock air filter on it to stop the carb manifold freezing
could it be that there is a blockage in the heat riser pipe thingy jobbies- sorry-
Or could it be my that my carb is not set up correctly.(need a service)
.....or something else!
any thoughts would be good- im in the process of getting a stock filter but I just want to cover all the bases.
cheers in advance for the help
mat :crazy:
ill ask you about break overhauls later on ! :coffeecup

·
Registered
21,202 Posts
veedub-mat said:
could it be that there is a blockage in the heat riser pipe thingy jobbies
You can find this out yourself - run the engine and (being VERY CAREFUL) feel the underside of the manifold starting from the centre below the carb and following down along the heat riser pipes. If they're cold, that's the problem (99.9% chance of this)

If you get second-degree burns from the heat riser pipes, they're not the problem ;)

·
Registered
10,096 Posts
veedub-mat said:
Does the fact that the battery light comes on when it dies have something to do with it also (is it loosing power over night- somehow?)
When the engine stops, the dynamo/alternator will no longer be charging. Thus the battery light should come on :)

·
Premium Member
8,812 Posts
veedub-mat said:
this was a problem last winter, and I put it down to having a silly pancake type filter- with no warm air feed to the carb-
Is it just I need the stock air filter on it to stop the carb manifold freezing
Or could it be my that my carb is not set up correctly.(need a service)
Stock Air filter with proper pre-heat connection may be all that is needed.
Once you've got that fitted, it's worth getting the carb settings checked but it's not worth doing while the pancake is still fitted

·
Tech Guru/Mr VZi '06
41,834 Posts
veedub-mat said:
Is it just I need the stock air filter on it to stop the carb manifold freezing?
Could it be that there is a blockage in the heat riser pipe thingy jobbies?
Or could it be my that my carb is not set up correctly.(need a service)?
.....or something else!
Why don't you check all those things, and service it properly, so you know exactly where you stand. None of them take long to do, or cost much, and you have a more reliable vehicle at the end of it.

·
I'm not an addict... honest!
4,529 Posts
Matt,

You can try my stock filter if you like, see if that helps?? Or bring it up to me at some point. Ive had the same problems with mine before....

Adrian

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
cheers matey still trying to find some time to come up and help get that bug of yours on the road. I found a guy who is selling an air filter, so with any look that should narrow things down a bit. I need to pick your brains on overhauling the breaks too.
quick question for you though- what do you recommend to bleed my breaks with? im getting ready to blast the lot- I could stop my van quicker with my bare feet -fred flinstone stylee-
cheers fella
mat
why do people put these filters on in the first place? on a stock motor- will it do much?

·
4,529 Posts
I have a brake bleed kit, pressurised one, makes the job loads easier. Come by this wkend if you like? Or I can take it to work for you to grab??

Brakes - I can do brakes !!

Adrian

·
4,529 Posts
The pancake ones were made for sand rails and buggys I believe?? They are crap for most other uses as you can't get any preheated air in there and other issues with volumes of air getting in the carb etc.

As with many things, why would a reputable manufacturer spend countless money developing parts that are inefficient and crap...... stay stock, it makes sense.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts