Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Help! I'm trapped in here
52,672 Posts
TBH I wondered how long it would be until the big high street CD\DVD retailers started going bust. All of the small independants in Newquay and Truro went a couple of years ago. Then Fopp went and now Zavvi. HMV I wonder how long they have left? I blame the Ipod generation, if it wasn't for MP3 we would still have proper music shops where you could while away a few hours buying tunes.

·
VZ Staff
24,096 Posts

·
Registered
12,777 Posts
TBH I wondered how long it would be until the big high street CD\DVD retailers started going bust. All of the small independants in Newquay and Truro went a couple of years ago. Then Fopp went and now Zavvi. HMV I wonder how long they have left? I blame the Ipod generation, if it wasn't for MP3 we would still have proper music shops where you could while away a few hours buying tunes.
agreed dude...miss those days, we have talked of this before on here about the joys of CD ownership and displaying them on a CD rack for all to see...its a sad demise dude...and to think how things have changed in a relatively short space of time with music accesibilty(sp) and purchase..loved the good old days of spending a chunk of your wages on CD's

·
Help! I'm trapped in here
52,672 Posts
agreed dude...miss those days, we have talked of this before on here about the joys of CD ownership and displaying them on a CD rack for all to see...its a sad demise dude...and to think how things have changed in a relatively short space of time with music accesibilty(sp) and purchase..loved the good old days of spending a chunk of your wages on CD's
At least 5 a week, back when I was single. I was totting up the replacement value of my CDs the other day, for insurance purposes. In my adult life I have spent over £5K on CDs. I know that when CDs replaced LPs I sneered at the older generation that claimed CDs weren't as good, I kind of know what they mean now. But you can't flip through a rack of MP3s. You can't flip through a rack of CDs either, cos there are no FUCKING music shops left. HMV is just like Halfords, the kids that work in there have never even heard of Frank Zappa and the Mothers of Invention. FRANK fucking Zappa.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
641 Posts
well tbh as much as id like to buy a cd version of an artist,iv always found as clarckson said to be a bit like halfords in that respect,there are some id like but could never buy were it not for the tiniters (tho for the sake of the economy,i might challenge myself to be proved wrong) anyone know if hmv can order hard to find stuff?

·
Registered
4,761 Posts
It's the same in Newark, all the independants went ages ago, now Woolies has gone there is only WH Smiths where you can buy CDs and DVDs, so may as well get what I need on line as I can't support local jobs anymore....

·
walking the black dog
65,372 Posts
Zavvi maybe the first of several other retailers who were linked in some way to Woolworths. :( It's like when the Rover group went tits up, they (media) concentrated on Rover group employees losing their jobs. But so many smaller companies were relient on Rover for business.

It is a very tough world in retail right now & a proper pisser to lose your job/career at Xmas-New Year time.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts